Test your browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Test your browser's max connections at...
    THIS site.

K-meleon loaded the full complement of pictures on my computer. Firefox loaded much fewer.

This doesn't necessarily mean that one browser is better than another BECAUSE of max connections. It's just something to know & ponder (if it is your wont to ponder.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: If you are on a slow-connection (e.g. dial-up) you do NOT want very many simultaneous server connections. REASON: in pages with multiple large images, the pixels of that many images coming in via a slow connection will cause your browser to become very sluggish.

Dial-up users might want to adjust the max-connections-per-server to 2 or 3. Two or three images loading at a time should feel much faster.

By the way, those who configure their browser's max number of connections to a server beyond reasonable limits are in effect launching a small denial of service attack against a server.

This point is well understood in the realm of download managers, where using a very large number of connections for large files is just plain greedy. Many servers limit the number of connections for these reasons, & some refuse being accessed by download managers altogether.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

What version ? I'm on v3.0.13 and this is what i see :D

ct.gif

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am using FF Ver 3.6.2.

When I want max security I use FF with Noscript & Safe Online (or sometimes Zemana Antilogger).

When I am surfing for pleasure & want max speed I use K-meleon (or sometimes Chrome+).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to settings for max connections, speeding up, minimalizing, etc etc etc...

1- In FF's address bar, enter "about:config" (without the quotes) & you will see the myriad of configuration settings that guide FF's actions.

1a- On that screen --- in the "Filter" box --- you can enter the name of any setting you want to locate (IF you know its name, of course).

1b- For example, enter "max-connections" (without the quotes) & you will see FF's settings that are being discussed in this thread.

1c- By the way, this same method also works for K-meleon.

2- You can tweak these settings to greatly increase the speed of your FF or K-mel browser -- if you know what you're doing or have a good teacher.

2a- Want a good teacher? Go HERE. (For instance). This tweak guide covers a plethora of FF settings. The deeper stuff starts on Page 10.

2b- As to K-mel, you can tweak it even more than FF -- the guide for doing so begins HERE.

3- With skilled & patient tweaking, K-mel on my machine is MUCH faster than Chrome+ or Opera 10x.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Opera 10.01 loaded them all, IE8 didn't load them all for me.

Interesting site bellgamin

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@bellgamin

Gotcha, thought you were complaining at first :D

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

How about Opera 10.51? Opera now uses 16 connections to server by default and 32 max.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Chrome failed to load more than half of them (in 9460 ms), that kinds of explain, what happens sometimes, when it fails to load some webpages.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What is the test time?
    Mrk

9. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

FF ver 3.6.2 loads all in 9731 ms (average in 10 tries.)
    Best 8436 mS and worst 12135 mS.

/Don

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Confirmed, Chrome barely loaded any. Maybe it does explain some pages not loading correctly, never thought of that.

11. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Me neither. It may have loaded about a tenth of all possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.