test sorry im trying to post and dont work

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Ben, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben Guest

test

2. Ben

Ben Guest

aight: I got PE as a gift..

..from my sister, because I don't have a CCard and she got it for me.

Now she freaks, her name is on the upper bar of the proggie and she freaks, says she dont want her name on my crappy PC and she wonders how her info is used at umm PE.

How can we deal with this?

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Ben, welcome to the forum!

You're received loud and clear, very readable.

If the PE was for you, she can email sales@diamondcs.com.au with the information, date and email address she used at buying the software and on whose name and email account it should be.
    You'll probably get sent a new key and serial maybe, so please do this asap, and all will be solved soon.
    Your sister's info will not be broadcasted on internet, nor is yours, but it's nicer to have it on your own name also in case of update info etc.

4. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

RE: I got PE as a gift..

Hi Ben, and welcome
    I think you need to get in tough with support@diamondcs.com.au
    to explain you position, or buy a decent PC :D
    Dolf

5. Ben

Ben Guest

oi ok Dollefie, now I got a second question

Im using Trend PCCillin and one of its components takes care of POP3 and mail issues.

PE lists it on a red line as trojan I would understand.

Why would this be? Is a legit proggie

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Didn't your sister even get you a nice PC with it to suit her name? tsss tsss what are sisters for huh?
    Anyway, congratulations with the nice software and let's see if the "crappy" pc can be turned in a decent one anyway with some configuration?
    What seems wrong with it anyway?
    Oh ehh and don't worry Dollefie and i gave different addresses to send the info to, the people overthere work so nicely together it's always solved in the best way.

For other readers with such a problem:
    in case of buying software for somebody else, please tell this in the comment when buying so the right key, serial, members area, unlockcode are all made immediately on the right name.
    It could be just a little change but it can mean more to do for the new coding etc.
    Looking forward to your positive replies from DCS.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If the icon is only in the systray and the program window is not opened, you'll see it as a red process; you'll see it changing back black when you click the icon and/or open the window. Right?

Which windows version are you using?

And Ben: you might like to join as a member to this forum!
    Gives you a face and possibility to send/receive IMs and at times there is a large giveaway for software for registered members.

8. Ben

Ben Guest

hi Jooske

Thanks for the replies.

Well I got into WinXP Home, a little hard to manoeuver around, and I am doing an orientation on it.

Learning about processes, services..etc.

Well, I got chuckling a little at PE is a nice proggie, it got me going with my research.

I had jumped on TamoSoft before, I know that company for long time, but their Essential NetTools are bland, same at netstat..not much info milking there.

DCS is indeed a good educative tool, for example it got me now into learning about Network Time Protocol only because I have noticed it uses port 123 and I thought I bumped into a Net Controller.

If I am at questions, do you got an idea where can I get pid info, or should I go by MD5 identification?

Ben

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

There is an area on the registration page that allows you to specify if it is a gift/and the name you want the program to be registered in. Maybe your sister missed it though. Gavin should send you out a changed license though that hopefully will solve this problem :D .

-Jason-

10. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Re:hi Jooske

Hi Ben,
    I suppose you have to search for information only by process name, or - as in the case of svchost.exe - by taking a look at the commandline used to invoke the process and see what the parameters have been.
    You can find out a lot of information in PE right away, for more information, you can use the Faber toys, SpyBot's FileAlyzer, DCS's APM and Sysinternals' Process Explorer - these should get you started. In most cases, it will be enough to know the process name to examine the process in another tool, sometimes you will have to use the PID given in PE - if there are several processes with the same name.
    If i remember additional tools (or if other people do), i will post them here as well.
    Here are the urls:

Faber Toys: http://www.faberbox.com/fabertoys.asp
    APM: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apm
    ProcessExplorer: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    FileAlyzer: http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=tools/filealyzer
    (APM, ProcessExplorer and FileAlyzer offering rather in-depth and technical information, but it can't hurt to have a look)

HTHH,
    Andreas

PS. md5 checksums are actually only used to verify that the file has not been tampered with and is still the same file that it's supposed to be (i.e. that it was on installation/distribution).

Edit: changed the url to reflect filealyzer's main page[/url]

11. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I just remembered that in WormGuard4 I have it logging processes so here is some info from one of my logs regarding svchost starting up at boot. :-

TIME: 14:58:39 - ( 02:58PM )
    FILENAME: D:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    CMD LINE: D:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

TIME: 14:58:39 - ( 02:58PM )
    FILENAME: D:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    CMD LINE: D:\WINNT\system32\svchost -k rpcss

TIME: 14:59:01 - ( 02:59PM )
    CMD LINE: D:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

TIME: 14:59:29 - ( 02:59PM )
    CMD LINE: D:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

So I guess all you need is a program which tells you the command line of the program. If WG4 was released you could use that also I guess based on time started :) . Hope that helps somewhat.

-Jason-

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason, You little teaser you!!! :D

13. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Re:test sorry ..thank you Jason, and Andreas

Good stuff, helps a lot in my research, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.