Test of Blue point security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

Here is my recent test of Blue Point Security, I know many here think this kind of tests are rubbish, but perhaps it is interesting to others.
    -----------------------

It seems that BPS needs still some work, but it was much improved to the last version.

Comments:

I scanned my 7.3 GB collection of various executables. No false positives.

I executed about 30 clean installers/programs most from the last year.Quite many were still unrecognized as safe but the whitelist seems to be improving. In my opinion too many files were given as "high risk" by heuristics, so heuristics is not yet helpful enough. A temp file created by an old flash installer was directly killed (not even moved to quarantine). One executable was sent directly to quarantine.

I executed about 20 pieces of malware/exploits. Most were directly spotted.
    One exploit was able to create a new process without BPS stopping it. In this case the infection was finally stopped, however. Two files were found to be "high risk". I executed them. One was then stopped, the other ruined the system totally.

Sometimes the heurictics analysis took a very long time/was stuck.

All in all I think BPS gives good, even exellent, protection, though does not give to me the same feeling of complete control as DefenceWall and Sandboxie do. I did not like to see that one exploit first penetrating BPS.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did bps rescue the system?or fail?thanks for you test i think it is a good test;)

3. ako

ako Registered Member

The system went to a boot loop. I reversed it with the Comodo Time Machine. (I test nowadays with a real system, not in a VM)

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i understand as i do my testing like you do;) but i think blue point fail cause the purpose of any test is to save or rescue the system with the application been tested like when i tested prevx with malware and at the end prevx always rescue my system ofcourse after that i have to clean any debris left;) but this is what i call passed when the system is rescue after all:thumb:
    any way thanks for testing and keep doinng it cause it may help others and me ofcourse,again good job man:thumb:

5. ako

ako Registered Member

BBS stopped it (heuristics gave "high risk"), it was my decision to execute that malware. I think BPS did really well, but was not perfect.

I have tested Prevx so much, that I can assure you it is not perfect either :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but even after executing bps suppose to revert a infected pc to a clean pc that is what antimalware suppose to do in the first place cure the infected pc even after making a mistake

7. ako

ako Registered Member

BPS blocks now also the exploit that penetreted it in my test. :thumb: It is close to being a perfect anti-executable.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool;) they improved it:D

9. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  10. guest

guest Guest

I have been testing BluePoint security against around 20 files (.exe) from malwaredomainlist and BluePoint have not detect any of them, and at the end the pc had more than 15 unwanted process. I tested it on windows 7 x64, did I something wrong?

11. ako

ako Registered Member

I've asked them to comment this thread.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I had a look at BP and was surprised that under default conditions some well known programs, such as MS Works Wordprocessor, were marked as unknown and I had to click on allow to run it. I understand the thinking behind this, but I'd have thought files such as these would have been in their whitelist by now.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Perhaps it might be best to post any software comments, concerns, issues, etc., at their BluePoint Security Forums.

JR

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Should this line be given when people discuss issues with some other vendors' software who do not have forums here, but elsewhere? For example, Avast & Kaspersky products to just name two.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

TonyW, IMO it never hurts to direct people to proper forums, so software developers can be made aware of issues concerning their products, but each case might be different.

Here in this thread, guest finds "unwanted processes" while you are pondering their "whitelist" contents regarding known programs and seeing those 2 topics, I felt that these issues should be directly addressed to BluePoint, instead of waiting for someone to respond, thus my post.

On the other hand, as Wilders Members share their thoughts on programs, past discussions have uncovered issues, which were later addressed in a vendor's forum. Therefore I would say that providing a line like mine is at best a case by case scenario and it wouldn't hurt.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I find your your comment rather puzzling, coming from a Mod. Are you saying that we should not discuss a given security app here if that particular app has a forum of its own? Or is BPS a sacred cow, never to be questioned or maligned? Or what? o_O

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bellgamin, I believe my response to TonyW offers the reasoning why I originally posted. Nothing more, nothing less is to be derived from my quoted line.

JR

18. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Guys I am pretty sure it was just a suggestion to users that their problems might be better attended to in the appropriate forum. Nothing more

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Expired message at install?

A newish downloader for the rogue Antivirus Plus went straight through it without a peep? Result: 8/40

It did stop a coupla other exploits I tried.

BP.JPG

AV Plus.JPG

20. ako

ako Registered Member

Didn't BPS warn you of a new process? Did that REALLY come STRAIGHT through? (It is an anti-executable)

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well that's what seemed to happen here on an XP VM and I don't wanna install BP again as it's too tedious. PM sent.

22. ako

ako Registered Member

BPS informed.

23. icr

icr Registered Member

Here is the new test performed by MRG. BPS fared well:thumb:

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I enjoyed reading that and might test it to see how it does for me. :)

25. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

BPS is bad product with out any "teeth" to bite :)
    use avira or same like it, no WAY bps gona be better than it in 10 years a head ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.