"Terminated by User" Error when Quota Exceeded

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by docedoc, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docedoc

docedoc Registered Member

TI Home V11 file backup scheduled task halts with the log entry, "Terminated by User" when error handling is silent mode and number of backups is exceeded.

The effect is that scheduled backups will not run unattended, either failing due to "Terminated by user" error or requiring user to click OK to fix quota violation.

Oddly the same scenario runs without errors on another PC with the same configuration -- XP SP3, backup to second local drive, drive quota set to 2 backups -- and ran without errors on this PC until recently.

The task runs properly if silent mode is disabled and I click OK in response to message about backup quota exceeded or if backup quota is disabled.

I have done this to try to cure the problem:
    • Recreated the backup location and the task
    • Changed default settings to be silent mode and toggled silent mode for the task
    • Repaired the installation by relaunching the installation kit and selecting repair
    Anyone else having this particular problem?

2. docedoc

No one else sees "Terminated by User" in the log when a scheduled backup fails? Just want to be sure I'm all alone here.

3. hchang007

hchang007 Registered Member

Same problem here!

It seems to occur (for me) when I exceeded the size quota but not the backup count.

Not only that, combining backup location and incremental backups ends up creating wierd backups -- where I have (over 7 backups) 3 full sized backups and 4 smaller backups; when I did not configure my incremental backups this way.

These makes "backup location" feature non-usable. I have resorted to using regular incrementals on regular folders. If this still don't work, I'm switching backup tools. This is unacceptable.

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Please look at the new Ti2009.

There is no backup location anymore. Acronis goes annother way.
    TIB-files are organized by an internal database and therefore you can store the files where ever you want.

5. docedoc

I was able to stop the TI V11 "Terminated by user" error by: removing all backups from the backup location, deleting acronis_backup_place.cfg, and editing the backup location to re-establish the quota to be 1. The last several backups have properly deleted older backups, enforcing the quota.

The "terminated by user" problem happens for a backup location after TI encounters "Object handle is not regisered" error when it attempts to delete an existing backup due to quota violation. This error suddenly occurred on a PC that, until then, had not had a problem. The backup to be deleted was 53MB with disk free space of 95GB, so it isn't caused by the backup being larger than available disk space.

From the error log:

6 Information 1/7/2009 4:00:27 AM Check for 'number of backups' rule violation is started. Set number: 1
    $module="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik\Backup.dll"
    7 Error 1/7/2009 4:00:27 AM Object handle is not registered.
    token="[fobject.dll]0x7C7"
    $module="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik\Backup.dll"

All subsequent backups to the same backup location fail with this error:

6 Warning! 1/7/2009 4:22:39 AM The violation of backup location quota has been detected!
    Do you want to continue backup process?
    Click Yes to continue and Acronis True Image will try to resolve the violation. Click No to abort the operation.
    : Yes/No
    7 Warning! 1/7/2009 4:22:39 AM Terminated by user

Deleting the hidden file acronis_backup_place.cfg and having TI recreate it is probably all that I needed to do but moving older backups out of the folder seemed prudent.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Backup Locations had some problems and Acronis finally thorugh out the technique with Version 12/20009. Unfortunately, Acronis through a bit of the baby with the bath water (some felxibility is gained and some is lost with new technique).

The best way to correct probs in Ver 10 and 11 re tasks and Backup Locations is to recreate the locations or the tasks. If that doesn't work, then you're probably sol and should consider wither ati 12/2009 or some other brand although I don't think any of the other brands are quite as rich when it comes to automated management of backup files.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (8101), which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

Actually, all given recommendations are absolutely correct, it usually helps with task issues to:

-Recreate tasks. You may delete them manually from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts folder (there should be task script files with the names like 7F43D031-3D5E-426E-8958-36C75BF2E31A.tib.tis or similar).
    Path for Vista is: C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts

-Recreate backup locations

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Not exactly. In prior versions you could use Win explorer or other file amangers to manage ATI files. You could even take a backup that was made to a Backup Locatin and move to somewhere else and it would still work just as well for restores, file extractions, etc.

That's no longer the case, you can only manage them from within ATI as of version 12/2009. So yes, you can put them anywhere, so long as you do it with ATI, otherwise you can't put them anywhere.

9. Acronis Support

Hello docedoc,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please download the latest build of Acronis True Image 11 Home (8101) from your account (My Account -> Registered Products) and test it first.

Also try recreate Acronis Backup Location in the following way:

- Use Windows Explorer to browse for the existing Backup Locations directories (if any of backup locations are set up). Manually delete configuration files (*.cfg) from them.
    - Run "regedit" from Start -> Run and search for the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces
    - Delete all existing values under FavoritePlaces
    - Please recreate Backup Locations.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. docedoc

Dmitry Nikolaev,

Using TI Home V11 Build 8101, I am encountering the "Terminated by user" error every week or so, with no seeming pattern in terms of number or size of backups, disk free space, duration between errors, or even phases of the moon.

I tried the approach you suggested: using TI Home V11 Build 8101 and delete the .cfg file and the entry in registry Favorites.

On recreating backup location with number of files quota = 2. I received the msg that number of files quota was exceeded (the backup location contained 5 previous backups) and the number of files quota would be enforced on the next backup. I answered OK to the message and TI created the backup location.

On running the backup task no backups were deleted, resulting in 6 files. Oddly, the backup location's number of files quota was set to unlimited. When I changed the quota to 2 files and ran the backup task, I received the terminated by user error.

So it appears that this approach cannot handle a situation in which the quota is already violated when the location is created.

I am currently testing this series of steps:

• Move all but one existing backups out of backup location to avoid quota error on recreating location.
    • Delete .cfg file
    • Delete registry Favorites entry.
    • Watch to see if this makes any difference.

Any other suggestions?

11. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

If you use 'backup locations' a favorite mistake is, that during creating the task the 'original folder' was choosen instead of the 'backup location'.

If you choose the 'normal folder' in the task all rules are ignored.

Can you eleminate this matter?

12. docedoc

Thanks for the suggestion but the paths are different.

The backup location path points to drive E: and the source path points to drive C:. In addition the backup and deletion works for a while and then, without any changes to configuration, throws the "Terminated by user error", indicating that the paths are not the problem. Clicking OK to the error results in the backup succeeding.

On the same PC there are two backup locations on the same drive. One backup location generates the error periodically and the other does not. I interpret this as showing the problem to be other than the PC, the drive, or the True Image installation.

Other suggestions?

13. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

docedoc, could you please clarify where Backup Locations are placed (whether they are on internal, external, or network hard drive)? Please note that Acronis True Image Home Backup Location quotas do not function on network share.

Also, I have sent a file to you via PM. Please install it and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.