Ten Tips to Protect Your Identity While Holiday Shopping Online

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Escalader, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FWIW & FYI.

IMHO, the list is in inverse order, eg: do 10 first then 9 ..... 1 etc.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Very useful guide.
    Most of the suggestions are just common sense... but then again, common sense is not so common as we might think LOL
    I'll print it and give a copy to my parents, girlfriend, etc...

3. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

About the last item:

I am not sure I am following your explanation. If you live outside U.S., you have to give your "social security number" (in some countries, every citizen is required by law to have an ID number, sometimes two different ID numbers, one of them which have their digital prints, at least one of them and the others stay with the feds).

And if you're buying something from a virtual store, most of time you have to place your ID number when you're making a new register. Unless you're buying something from a free place like a board forum, or let's say, a place like EBay.

Even if you're selling/buying something from Ebay, for security reasons it's very important to have the ID number, that's how the person in charge of any negotiations will be identified. Sometimes, the bank requires the same ID number for you to make a payment. That depends: the kind of payment choosed from the buyer.

About the item 7 (seven), it's also important to authenticate all printed data on some place who deals with authenticated documents from contracts and that sort of thing. Why is that? Because, if you have a problem in the future, your proof will be rejected using the argument of "they could perfectly make all this thing home using a single computer". So, when you place a seal of authenticated, your documents are really more beliavable.

4. Escalader

Hi Jim:

None of is "mine" so I can't really explain this banks advice.

I think the last items is referring to including sensitive id info in EMAIL.

Never having bought / sold on ebay I can't comment, do they have https when you carry out a transaction?

At least this list of inverted 10 got people thinking! :thumb:

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

What's sad is all of that should be common knowledge for using the internet, but it isn't. The public's more informed about security than it used to be at least, but they're still pretty ignorant.

Articles like these, while trivial, are great for the "average internet user". :thumb:

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

What's really sad, is that we need to worry about any of this, that there is an element of society that thinks it's big and clever to rip people off.
    Just my rant ;)

7. Escalader

It's a rant I agree with.

Since ancient Rome, 10% of the people are dishonest nothing has changed that 10% only now, we have automated them and given over the www to them as well. :'(

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Yes, most of the purchasing goes to a https server (usually via Paypal) or another payment system. Ebay, itself, does not handle the money flow between buyer and seller. Or you have to mail a check (snail mail).

The bank that you cited offers a savings account rate of 5.31% for online accounts (US customers only), which is among the highest bank savings account rates in the country. You can deposit as little as $1
    http://www.ufbdirect.com/ufbdirect/

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I sort of disagree with the order that you cited. Items 1-6 eliminates many of the "identity theft vectors" into your system.
    Item # 7 would be a last resort task.
    Item # 8 has been broadcast by every major PC business website, that just about everyone should know this, except for very new PC users.
    Item #9 and 10 will help, but if you haven't done the earlier items, it is too late since you have been compromised even if you did them.

11. Escalader

Your order look okay to me as well.

The idea is select who you do business with first and track the account activity. The rest well ,you are right ,everyone should know them but well they don't. You know I know but the great mass if surveys are to be believed know that they shouldn't open spam but they do it out of human curiosity!

My goal was positive to try to raise awareness of the things to do. If even one fraud is avoided, I'm :)

See you :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.