Ten reasons why...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by 19monty64, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

...I can't use PeerGuardian2, which I recently tried out for the first time.
    1/blocks all opera sites + others
    2/blocks link-scanner lite
    3/slow updating
    4/Error Contacting URL:Failed connect to lists2.phoenixlabs.org.nyud.net:8080;No error
    5/2 failed updates, so Ads & Spyware are disabled
    6/delay WinShut-down by 20-25 secs.
    7/phoenixlabs-forum page failed to load (images 49/52) while PG2 icon blinking constantly lol
    8/slows down open/closing of Opera
    9/While downloading updates pg2 uses 59,772k, so closing windows was delayed substantially, but at least only uses 2,844k when minimized to taskbar icon. Overclocking uses almost 700m/ram without problems with open/close of gui
    10/all problems fixed by disabling pg2, although I couldn't re-enable pg2 without a reboot lol
    Now, I don't want to criticize this app. as I found it useful in principle. But it is still a beta, and I will try it again when it becomes final. I know I could fix some of these problems myself, but size of the blocklist is huge and the number of sites I use that were blocked was quite large also. I couldn't use my time-syncronizer, link scanner lite(?), opera sites, prime 95, etc. Maybe Escalader could start a "How to optimize PeerGuardian-Learning Thread 4." Hey, if he could help me to learn how to use Kerio 2.1.5, how much harder could PG 2 be?
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :blink: :blink: :blink: o_O o_O o_O :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:
    I would have posted this at phoenix labs-forums, but it wouldn't load and I got tired of whitelisting...roflol

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Maybe it was the lists you chose?

Also why not disable PG2, and then post in the forum?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Never had problems with PG.

A few simple suggestions:

1. Don't let it block http.
    2. Use the P2P list only (that's its main purpose).
    3. Delete the history file manually after a few days, it will grow to huge size, but after you delete it, it will stay a few MB only.
    4. Let it update alone at night hours or so.

In my case, it works fabulously with the firewall, no slowdown, only 1.7MB impact.

Mrk

4. 19monty64

I went by default settings and it blockedo_O

5. 19monty64

Reporting an error as no error....2nd bad sign!

6. 19monty64

That was the original set-up
    Do you not torture test your apps. to see how well they work? And I don't use P2P yet.
    I had it for less than 4 hours!
    I did the update when installing, and when 2 failed, the modules were disabled. So I disabled PG to update it, like they said to. When it updated, the ram-usage jumped to 50MB, and the close button failed to close PG for several tries and about 30 secs. Then, I couldn't re-enable PG without a reboot. Besides, I said that I liked PG and plan to re-install when final. I don't have a lot of luck with betas, and I was just pointing out the "bugs" that may be present for other user. Thanks for the suggestions, but I will wait for the final version to torture-test. My only question left is regarding the disabling of features to update from servers that are by default blocked? Sounds like irony....we don't trust these servers, but we use them to update. That's like getting a pre-installed browser in an OS, and then the suppliers of that OS saying the browser is vulnerable, but to use it for for necessary security-updateso_O

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I really don't know which version you're using. I'll tell you what I'm using when I get home. It is stable, fast, no memory / cpu footprint (negligible), no bugs. Updates are sometimes slow, but I don't care when I'm asleep :)

Besides, updates are not that critical, another million or so IPs in addition to 750 million existing ones ... heh.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.