%temp%dd_msxml_retMSI.txt

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LaFemmeMichele, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Hello!

After updating Windows yesterday, I have folders on the C: drive of two PCs containing %temp%dd_msnl_retMSI.txt.

I understand from reading that the logs were produced by packages chained during .NET framework 3.0 setup (not to be confused with I understand!). I believe these are what you guys call verbose MSI log files.

At the end of the log it says MSI MSXL 6.0 Parser (KBxxxxxx) Installation Completed Successfully.

How might I determine whether or not the setup was a failure?

Does the fact that these logs exist alone definitively answer the failure/success question?

I reboot after Windows updates & check with Belarc Advisor to see what it might reveal. In this case it showed no problem. I don't know of another way to verify proper update installation.

I also have experienced previously, while attempting to remove a hotfix from Control/Add Remove Progs a warning that in doing so many apps on the PC might no longer work. At that time I repeated the hotfix without removing the original failed one as identified by Belarc. It seemed a safe way to go & Belarc appeared satisfied! Do you approve of this course of action?

Any insight you might give to shed some light would be greatly appreciated.

Michele

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

start > run > appwiz.cpl
    (add and remove programs)
    the KB hotfix should be listed

also it should appear in the %systemroot$\WINNT (W2K) or %systemroot$\Window (XP) directory
    (in blue if you have compressed files highlighted as a folder option)
    I generally dump those backups after the hotfix has a time to show its not borking my system

you could also verify with the baseline security analyzer or as a history listing at Windows Update
    you can even check it at Secunia software Inspector along with several other aps
    Baseline Security Analyzer is the most comprehensive verification for all applicable (OS) updates you might want ;)

I made a mistake last year and while tightening NTFS permissions and failed to grant myself full rights
    it screwed with all msi packages and I went through a hell of a time getting the permission back on C:\WINNT\Installer
    (it defied cacls from a commandline :blink: but succumbed to a popular hackers tool)
    its pretty obvious when msi packages dont fly

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  3. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Ice!

Secunia showed me there were three old versions of Flash 4, 7, & 8! I just opened the box this PC arrived in yesterday! It came with all these! And it also let me know a KBxxxxxx, other than the one mentioned in the last line of that %temp%... log, was needed. In Control/Add Remove Progs there are two listings for Macromedia Flash v8 that will not allow me to remove them!

Sencunia directed me where to go to get rid of the old versions & once I'd run the KBxxxxxx it had made me aware of & rebooted, all new Macromedia files were in the location. Secunia passed me! I also verified on macromedia.com that I do have v9 now!

Thank you so much! The bizarre log file vanished from C:! Excellent! :)

Michele

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

LOL 3 versions :blink:

Happy to help ;)

Baseline Security Analyzer still might be a good idea
    Ive had it suggest patches to subsystems that nothing else did
    (often prompting me to either patch them or remove them as uneccessary (W2K))
    also it checks basic security policies ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.