Telling Your Computer What to Do

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

David Pogue

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Hello, computer.
    Just use the keyboard.
    A keyboard. How quaint.

Does this mean I get to have transparent aluminum now? :p

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's a great option for people with disabilities.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This technology really is under utilized. Several years ago, I bought a couple products... VoiceDirect and Dragon Naturally Speaking. (They were on sale - and wow, did they need to be! :ninja: ) The recognition capability when using a headset was absolutely incredible. Complete screen and utility control at voice command, and text to speech in the 98% range without error. I'm still surprised today that it never quite caught on as I thought it would back then. :isay:

5. Ice_Czar

How confused can it get with background noise, music, movies?

Dogs? Operator incoherent babbling? :p

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, it can't be, but, only because you MUST use a head set that will not allow background noise to interfere. These are very sensitive technologies. Sci-Fi channel like capabilities are just not there yet.

7. Ice_Czar

Id actually see that as an advantage since 9 times out of 10
    Im listening or watching something else concurrently
    As long as I didnt get sick of wearing the headset

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It is a necessity :thumb:
    Yes, i also thought it would be a success. But only Dragon and some other were up to it, i can't remember exactly.

Ice_Czar: it would be easy if you could toggle with a button, in the keyboard or in the desktop.

This is a need for many, but there are also some advantages for others. It isn't that great for most, but it's still a good feature. Vista is not necessary, i think, but to be included in an OS was expected for a long time. Sure is strange it took this long. And why not in SP3, or an MS application...

Is there some GNU software for this?

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Then on the other paw.. if you want a TTS (Text To Speech) program with functionality of ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition) integrated. It is able to to read aloud the written text and choose the sentences to be pronounced based upon the vocal answers of the user.

From a guy who hates programs that use the windows registery, Dimio has software that will read bedtime stories to your dog in any language you wish.

DSPEECH
    http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

*puppy*

Or you could just try to delete that.or select all..or o_O?

ht tp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472&q=microsoft+speech+recognition&hl=en

All his stuff is freeware..;)

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks!! I'm downloading, and i'll try it tomorrow:thumb:
    There's also DTASKMANAGER, interesting. How is it compared to Process Explorer and What's Running? (downloading too)

Thank you

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a preferably open-source speech-to-text? I'd like to make a bit of a noise around the house...
    Mrk

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've been using the latest version of Dragon Natural Speech. it really is awesome. Not useful for everything, but in some applications it makes life easier. With the headset that came with it, backgound noise isn't much of an issue. The patience of doing a good training job really pays off.

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I am using speech recognition in Vista for two days and I am already starting to like it. It is annoying to correct all mistakes, but as the time goes on, the computer better recognizes, what I say. In fact, I am using speech recognition to dictate this post and as you can see, it isn't so bad. But let's just say, that it took me about 10 minutes to finish this post, so... By the way, I have a low cost microphone, so maybe my problems aren't Vista's fault.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  14. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I've never really felt the need to have a speech recognition tool for typing out a letter, but I do remember the days that I could use speech recognition for commands. I helped a friends mom setup her computer with a boom-mic.

She could bark out commands, and most of the time, it responded correctly. It took forever to setup and train too. It was something built into the computer when she bought it, so I don't know what software was being used....if any.

I like doing things the easy way, but I'd feel a little funny if my wife walked in and I was ordering my computer around. She'd have me committed :)

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I have never tried that one sorry..but our good buddy bellgamin might know since I am sure he is using it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=1081

16. malformed

malformed Former Poster

Even using a headset mic, I've found that recognition was terrible no matter the amount of training; I found I was often correcting the software, which was more time consuming than typing the document directly. I wish it worked without hassle but in my experience it doesn't, I'm glad to hear it works flawlessly for someone else. I've tried both Dragons and IBMs software in the past without success. Just to note it isn't a language barrier in my case, English is m mother tongue and I speak without impediment. I envy anyone who utilizes this type software; I wish I could.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although it sounds good, it's still in its infancy, it will improve during the years, but to use it NOW ? I prefer to wait until it's an overall solution like keyboard and mouse. Beating an experienced typist won't be easy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  18. TairikuOkami

I have forgot to mention, that I use speech recognition to learn to speak. Since I ussually spend all day at PC with only computer for company, my speech skill is less than basic. Well, I hope, that it will help me, so at least someone will understand, when I talk to someone. [​IMG]

19. Peter2150

It may not be the most efficient, but with Dragon speak you can do that. Say you have test.doc on your desk top. You can say open test.doc and it will open it. You can edit any changes, and the say File exit and yes to save, and it will do so. You can put mouse over a menu item and say mouse right double click, etc. In some cases not as effiecient, but combining the two can be amazing.

20. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I installed an internal wireless card on my laptop a few days ago and I was giving it some verbal instructions, but I don't think it was listening - it wasn't booting, I think it got offended by the swear works I was using :D ....

Stubborn thing.

21. TairikuOkami

I have found out an interesting thing, that Vista's speech recognition has a problem to understand me, because I do not have a hardware for it, it needs a decent CPU. When I use it, my 1,5 GHz is at 100% almost all the time and it fullfills my given commandes about 30 seconds later, because it is busy. I wonder, how much CPU does dragon software use. :'(

22. Peter2150

I don't think that much. When you dictate text there is a lag with dragon, but that is because it is waiting for a sentence, so it can put words in context. Helps it's accuracy. But say mouse commands are as fast as actually clicking on the mouse.

23. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 is an incredible piece of work! For all those who think this technology is "not there yet," should try it. It is amazingly accurate.

I set it up and trained a 45 year old man on it last month. For those who don't see a purpose, I'll give you two words: Parkinson's Disease. This man was hit with this dreadful disease just a year ago and was, like many of us, a computer addict. His tremors became so bad that he was simply not able to navigate a keyboard any longer. It was so very sad. The hospital told him about the huge strides made in voice recognition with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9. He called me and we went to work. He has now mastered that program and uses it for all emails, forums, letters, everything! It is so exciting to see technology give this man his love for computing back.
    http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

Don't let Vista's so-so VR program get you down on the concept. Vista's is really not all that bad, but it doesn't compare to Dragon. DNS is simply awesome.

24. Peter2150

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.