Tell me you honest opinion about Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WestEnd, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestEnd

WestEnd Registered Member

Hi,
    I want to know your opinions about nod32. I had never heard of it until someone that was supposed to sell me Avast but couldn't get in to download it suggested Nod32 instead. Is it good, reliable?

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Your best resource on NOD32 opinions would be to use the search function above. You will be amazed at the number of postings there have been on this subject including comparatives between other AV's and NOD. They also have an official forum here at Wilders....hope this helps...:D

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Hi WestEnd, just for my information, could you please tell who was that 'someone' who was supposed to sell you Avast but couldn't get in to download?

Thanks!
    Vlk

4. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I've used many antiviruses in my professional career and NOD32 has always been a favorite for the following reasons:

1. Super fast installation and uninstallation, coming from a company that only sells Norton products, this is a blessing for me. It takes about 10 seconds to install and uninstall, very nice!

2. The best heuristic scanning engine around, compare at AV-Comparatives, blocks many threats on zero-day before signatures can be released. NOD32 is the only antivirus to have never missed a single "In the wild" threat. See: awards for more accomplishments. Here is a list of just some of the threats that have been blocked before a signature release.

3. The ability to configure the product to your exact specifications. You can set up the active monitor, AMON to be completely silent and use automated responses to any threats that may attack your system if you are annoying by warning messages or just the opposite and have it send you email messages when threats are found in addition to the popup asking for your chosen response.

4. Also, NOD32 has an extremely low footprint when running in the background, I run the system on everything, from Windows 95 to brand new Windows XP systems with a gamer's interests in mind and it is very light! Here is another comparison, with some other antiviruses.

You'll hear many people say "NOD32 isn't for novices, it's too difficult to setup!", but this is quite wrong as the system works just as good from a fresh 10 second install as any other, it will just prompt you for a response on every threat. If this is not how you want it setup, I recommend using: Blackspear's extra settings for a more "unattended" scanning mode. Again, back to number 3, NOD32 is extremely configurable, designed to adequate anyone's preferences. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

What mongol said have a look around this forum.
    I've tested Nod32 vigorously and liked it for its detection and lightness - although when it went off with a detection the first time I'd thought I'd made a mistake and had a rouge program :D only joking - seriously, an a1 antivirus.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Honest thought, hmmmm. Nod is very compact and quick. It and Kas have reputations that are backed up time and time again, on their detection capibilities. I like Nod for its detection, and lightness. I dont like it because of the technical aspects that need to be modified to get the best out of it. Than goodness for blacksppears, but if you bought it and didnt know about this place, you wouldnt be using it to its best advantage. Some feel that Nod dropped the ball on not getting a suite out sooner. I think I even said this. But now feel we havent seen one for 2 reasons. One to better fine tune the final product and second, why bring it out when the market is being flooded with new suites anyway. Why not wait till the first of the year when all the current excitment has worn off and people have tried the current drop of newbies for the good and the bad.

One thing you do know is when the final product is released, it will be vastly improved, just like Kas, and will sell with no problems.

7. WestEnd

WestEnd Registered Member

That someone was a representative from a local store whos boss had offered to send someone to come and install Avast AV for our non-profit organization as part of the deal. This young kid didn't even know the phone number to his own company! That tells you something right?
    He was not able to log in to download it, said it had to do something with his boss not prepairing the access for him.

I am ready to back out of that deal and find another one. That is why I am here learning.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I never really felt NOD32 was all that good until the release of v2.5. NOD32 2.5 has been an excellent product that I am quite satisfied with. So, NOD32 summed up according to me :D

- Excellent Heuristics
    - Great speed
    - Good detection rates
    - Above average unpack engine (but still not one of the best, though I believe this will be improved in v3)
    - Decent interface, it isn't really so hard to configure as some people may say
    - Effective real-time protection
    - Very good malware disinfection and registry cleaning capabilities :)
    - Decently priced, though I believe hacking $5 from the one year license price should give it a lot more value :)

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well to be honest I would rather run my browser through Sandboxie than rely on any blacklist or heuristic scanner!

Yep, I know that I am a Sandboxie fanboy.:)

No probs, no slowdowns and no infections!

Leaner, meaner and cleaner!

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you've got a file packed with an unsupported rtp, feel free to send it to me. AH uses a generic unpacker so if possible, we'll adjust it so that it can scan your file.

11. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Another reason to go Eset, look at that awesome messageboard support! :)

12. Firecat

Alright, I will send it to you when I get such files. Thanks a lot. :)

13. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

One of the main criticisms I have heard with NOD32 is that "it has poor trojan detection", however, if you look at www.av-comparatives.org, NOD32 has been steadily improving in this area, and others, for some time. The latest AV-comparatives results show that the difference between nod32 and the other AV's in the 'top' (in terms of detection) is so small, it's negligable.

14. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

I own NOD32. I like NOD32. I also own KAV 6, which is currently the AV on my two personal computers. I also own VBA32, which is on my Toshiba laptop.

NOD32 is excellent; I'm the fickle one :D

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

honest opinion huh, ok when i have tested this quite alot and have always really liked it. the scan speed is fast, the real time scanning is fast. fast to startup no right click menu which for me i like i know some people dont like that but i do because that means I cant accidentally disable my av. I dont like fact that atm there is alot of update errors. i dont like the fact it doesn't have exclude list in the on demand scan. i dont think i can be anymore honest :)

lodore

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will be completely honest and say that I have tried Nod on three different computers and it didn't work well on all three of them. I worked with nod support on the problem but in the end it just wasn't the antivirus for me. I won't say anything bad about Nod as It is a very good product, but One I just can't use. But in all honesty Nod is not the first or will it be the last software that won't work for me.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I just want to be honest , too . There aren't a lot of update errors at the moment. ESET had a problem some time ago which I also didn't like with so so many error but it is now ok , small amount of update error generally caused because of one or two servers were very busy at the moment but I can't remember a server being completely down for very big amount of time .
    Since ESET clients are growing up very speedy and because of other reasons , they are soon going to push new servers in addition to the current one so that we will have very small to no update errors .

Well , I just wanted to be honest . Everything else was said or is going to be said from somebody else . I also don't want to argue with anybody , just writing an opinion ;)
    :thumb:

18. Firecat

Strangely enough I've had below 10 update errors since first installing NOD32 in May 2005. Lucky me? o_O :D

19. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

OK, I'll try to be so honest that I can. First of all, I have to say what I don't like about av-products. Here are those FF principles of security proggies.

I don't like

* bloatwares
    * multi engined av:s, because they are always bloatwares
    * poor proactive detetection av:s
    * the market leaders, because you just can't be the nr 1. without making LESS tricks than the others. The ULTIMATE rule after 51 years of LIFE. :D
    * long update delays to infected samples after scanned in VirusTotal, Jotti's etc.
    * the incompetence to scan those files that the majority of my verified av:s were capable to scan

After these I have to say that I have used more than ten av:s within the last two years. In principle I have not got infected usually, only when I surfed in the "illegal zone".

Regarding to my favourite av-tests, Av-Test.org Magdeburg and Av-Comparatives, the best performers are also my favourite ones, if we are looking at those av:s, which performed best against those nasties added this year.

So, in my mind, NOD belongs to my TOP 5 together with BitDefender and Norman VC, where the TOP 2 belongs to Avira and Kaspersky, there is no need to say which is my absolute ranking to NOD.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

My memory doesn't serve well :) Please PM me what issue you encountered with NOD32, maybe something has been fixed in the mean time, or we have gained experience with that issue and already know a workaround for it.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Earlier this year I trialed NOD 32 on both a laptop and desktop. It ran smoothly on both, and I liked it. In the end I chose KAV 6, but would be satisfied with NOD 32.

I had been intimidated by the comments that NOD was only for above average users. I did not find that true. I admit that the first day I almost ditched it looking at all the options and different modules. However, I got immediate help on the fourm, and had no problems after that.

NOD, as all AVs, has its problems. All one has to do is to visit the various support forums and see that fact. Accordingly, the only way to determine if any particular AV runs well on your own system is to trial it.

It is my opinion, even though I do not use it, that NOD32 is a superb AV, and if it runs well on your system you will be as safe as any other AV.

For a freebie there is nothing wrong with Avast, and I have used it without problems. But I would not buy it when others which have a better detection rate are available. I am trialing Avira Classic (free) and so far like it.

Best,
    Jerry

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok i need to add these two things to my honest opinion about nod32.

1. fully functional trial no cut outs.
    2. you always have the latest program during your license

btw i say if your happy with nod32 keep it (this is to people who are thinking of switching to e.g. antivir or kaspersky.)
    if you happy with kav keep it.

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It has been done:thumb:

24. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel the same way. Although I can say that while I liked the product, I don't care too much for Eset and their philosophy as far as version 3 is concerned. I think users deserve information about it. That, and the fact that it doesn't "feel" right for me led me to Kaspersky.

25. marcromero

marcromero Guest

To be honest, I recently ditched Nod32 for Dr.Web antivirus. I bought into all the newsgroup hype and after a short trial period, I purchased it, for the two months I had it installed, I had more errors in the event log then updates. Sometimes it would update, sometimes it wouldn't. When it failed to update automatically, I had to update manually, when it worked. I also had a couple of instances where the kernal service would not start automatically and I had to manually start the service. The pop3 email scanner seemed to interfere with Outlook Express and I had to disable this feature to use my email client.

Support was second to none, great group of guys, bent over backwards to help me, but nothing worked to my satisfaction. To sum it up, Nod32, in my opinion, is not a very polished software, it can be very finicky at times and I just didn't feel comfortable running it on my system.

Personally, I have tried several of the top tier av's according to av-comparatives and feel some of them are highly overrated, but, to each his own when it comes to one's security. My current av solution updates flawlessly, runs without a glitch and is truly a set it and forget it, antivirus solution.

Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.