TDS3 install directory: Use default and make one of my own

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by wanchan, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanchan

wanchan Registered Member

I am trying to install TDS3 trial. I used TDS3 a couple of years ago. At that time, old build of TDS3 recommended that it was better off being installed under a custom-made directory instead of the default directory likely this "C:\Program Files\TDS3". It was recommended as such primarily as deceptive strategy against milacious trojans.

Well, having not used TDS3 for a whlile, I'd like to confirm if the above is still true. Better install TDS3 install the default as the above or into the one I have made my own?

Thanks for any insights:)

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, either way is ok, even c:\tds works if you like. But you might like to create another name, maybe even on another partition, but do install as an admin.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Wanchan, Your trial program will not work unless you have reformatted or changed your PC since you last ran the trial.
    Using a non default folder was good practice a couple of years ago but malware has got a lot cleverer nowadays and obscure paths don't help much. Having said that I do not have TDS3 in the default folder ;)
    Don't forget to get the latest Radius file from the DCS site:
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

HTH Pilli

4. wanchan

Thanks for confrimation about where to install TDS3. :)

I think I bought TDS3 (1? 2?) years when I was using it. But I just cant find the reg key file I paid for. As for this I will email DCS. I just want to know that with the reg key file, if I can uninstall and reinstall anytime under any systemm configuration I want. Correct?

One side note...I am a bit surprised TDS is still version 3:p Anyways, I hope the resident module isn't as memory-hogging as it used to be. Without doubt, TDS is the very best anti-Trojan program. Just recource it comsuned was my concern, and I really want to run TDS as resident......

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Wanchan,

Only a few side-notes:

You said you bought TDS-3 a few years ago.
    If you don't have your licence-key anymore, for some reason, please send an email to support at diamondcs.com.au with as much info as possible about it.

You might like to do a complete new fresh install, with the version available at the DCS site.
    I am not completely sure whether and how you did a un-installation.
    Did you also first "uninstall" the resident part of TDS-3 : Execution Protection?
    You might need to do that.

6. wanchan

Yes it is a fresh new install on a completely new laptop.

Btw I got the tds3.kf file today, but it was rejected by the latest version/build of TDS. Since this is another whole new issue, I started a new thread at here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=311023#post311023

Thanks you for the help regarding the installation location of TDS:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.