TDS Utility: TCP Traffic Bridge (what bridge??)

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by saliva, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saliva

saliva Guest

As a newbie, I'm having difficulty understanding the functionality of many of the utilities that come with the package (eg, TCP Conncet, TCP Traffic Bridge, etc). The help file that comes with the app seems only to provide snippets of info which isn't much helpful -- is there a complete documentation anywhere??!!

At any rate, while I have many questions on mind, I'll limit myself to just one: TCP Traffic Bridge. The help file describes it as "This utility allows you to view (and insert into) the communications between a client and server - the ideal tool to use when trying to determine the protocol (language) of a client/server. The utility acts as a transparent middleman..." Now this sounds lot like ARP spoofing. But if I'm not mistaken, with ARP Spoofing you poison the switch’s ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) cache by attaching the host’s IP address to its own MAC address in order to intercept transmission of all the data before relaying that data back to the host machine. Hence it might sound the same but it isn't the same, or is it? With TDS it seems that you're only able to stealthily monitor the activity between your own computer and a remote server. But if that's the case, then, what purpose does it serve? Why would you need to silently monitor what you can readily see on the monitor in the first place--namely your own internet activity?

This utility is useful then in one respect. To connect to trojans that are roaming in the background, and intercepting whatever data it receives and emits. But then again, I'm not too sure how you would know what the IP for the remote server is in the first place (by default, this is set to localhost or 127.0.0.1) Does anybody have a clear-cut answer to this...or am I just not getting it?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, saliva

Welcome to Wilders and DiamondCS Forum [TDS]

I do not know much about this.

but did a search on the Forums for TCP Traffic Bridge and found lot of links and pick this one for you to start with:-

For Saliva to Read.

When you have had a read and if does not answer your question do a search at the top of the page for 'TCP Traffic Bridge', [with out quotes] you will find lot of Information.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Was a nice read. In fact you can use the traffic bridge as a proxy for yourself :)
    And you can add to the joy with extra data.

The Helpfile is printed out over 300 pages and rather educative; each of the 50 tools description could easily fill a book, so we use the forums and google for additional information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.