TDS running "hidden"

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by beethoven, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am using TDS on 2 PC (licensed). In order to use the Exec Protection I understand that TDS has to run in the sys tray. In one PC this works fine, after I start TDS and manually update the definitions, I click to minimise and TDS shows up in the tray.
    The other PC however seems to run TDS after I minimise (it shows up in the task manager) but I can't see it in the system tray nor can I maximise it again as the prog is nowhere to be seen. Double clicking on the desktop icon is just causing problems as TDS is already running somewhere in stealth mode and obviously I should not run it twice at the same time.
    The PC is XP and I have already changed the config not to hide inactive icons, so everything should show up.

Any suggestions?

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

That is quite a common problem with XP

The way I deal with it is to open TDS and press configuration then set TDS to minimise to mini control window

I lose most things in sytem tray regularly with XP

4. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

Yep, quite common... :rolleyes: In this case, if you want to access or shut down properly TDS, you can bring to front the main window with Process Explorer from sysinternals (right clicking on tds-3.exe process then bring to front).

5. beethoven

I am not yet convinced that it is an XP issue as none of the other programs running shows this issue. This morning TDS loaded normally and minimised correctly - so I will keep monitoring.
    Thanks for the hint re process explorer - might check out this program. I figured out that you can also use task manager to do that if necessary. I guess it does not really matter if the icon shows up or not as long as the prog is running and the protection in place, though much easier to check that with one look at the system tray. :D

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Your choice Beethoven

XP does have known problems with losing system tray icons

the programs still run but there is no easy way to access them, It happens on many systems with Antivirus/AT/ spyware etc

in the TDS case using the minimise to control window works so why not use it

otherwise when the icon goes walk about in systray next time try a right click on task bar, bring up task manager, select explorer, end task, ( you will then lose the task bar and get a blank desktop) then on the task manager press file/new task, type explorer.exe and OK and it should all come back

7. beethoven

Thanks DVK01 - I will change my config to use the control window function :)
    As to task manager, last time I had to do it, I just opened task manager and highlighted TDS, then pressed "switch to" and it came back :D

8. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Yes, I forgot it was also available in task manager, sorry ;) (last time I used it? don't remember...). Dvk01, I use this procedure too when, let's say... explorer crashes (randomly chosen :D), but does it imply some problems (explorer being father process then crashes => child processes behaviour)?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  9. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The problem isn't caused by Windows XP (or, more specifically, Windows Explorer). Applications that have tray icons should periodically redraw those icons, to prevent this type of problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.