TDS detects 2 ADS's on tds.exe

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

When run TDS detects 2 NTFS Alternate Data Streams on the tds.exe. One is 88 bytes long and the other 0 bytes.

Is this normal ? If this is TDS that has added them, I thought ADS were frowned upon in security circles, and so why are they being used ?

I am using Win XP Home SP1 with Kaspersky AV Personal 5.0.142, LooknStop 2.5. I have heard scare stories that KAVP 5 adds an ADS to every single file, but from my experiences this is not true and so that's why I think it is TDS that has added them.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Defenestration, Many programs use streams, especially imaging programs, I believe thay are used for tagging the image. bb bytes ias a typical image stream. 0 bytes is nothing. Anything below 128 bytes can be safely ignored.
    Here is a screenshot showning how to set up streams.

Attached Files:

3. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Why has the TDS executable file tds.exe been tagged though ? No other file on my system has been tagged with an ADS, so it looks like TDS has tagged itself.

Why is this ?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Defenestration, TDS3 does not tag anything with streams, windows creates them usually for legitimate reasons.
    Why zero byte size I have no idea :) I certain circumstances KAV 5 did create streams, like you, my KAV does not.

Here is some more information about ADStreams:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/web/streams/streams.htm

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.