TDS crashing on start

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Hurricanetracker, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

Have I bought a lemon ?? :)

No, seriously : TDS is crashing on me completely - right at startup of program - I have disabled the "startup with windows " feature- because I found out that obviously doesn't work in Windows XP . I update manually ( because auto-update doesn't seem to work either , even with latest cfg file ) and now it won't start :

it starts up and on scanning memory resident processes it hangs at the very first process it scans : a 50 kb ( or thereabouts ) file called smss.exe ( windows session manager ) . I'm now inclined to totally uninstall TDS and start from scratch .The program behaves extremely unstable ( although , when it does work it's the best around , in my opinion ) and this crashing is very tedious ( it also doesn't close gently , it just doesn't respond , using 100% of CPU and you simply have to wait until it decides to close ) .

Any suggestions ??

2. linney

linney Registered Member

Are the hanging problems related to the "Live process memory space" scanning? This is a really heavy use of system resources part of the scan and it may give the impression of hanging when it is actually beavering away. Again if you try to stop TDS in this highly intensive part of the scan it may indicate it is not responding until this highly intensive process releases the CPU cycles required to close down.

Give it a few more minutes to complete these memory space scans. It is a good idea not to have other programs running during this part of the scan.

If there was a problem with TDS-3 you would see these posts full of it, which they are not.

3. Hurricanetracker

That bird doesn't fly :)

I have exited all other running programs just to see if that was the problem . TDS freezes at the very start ( scanning a 50 Kb file ) , I know full well the entire process of scanning running processes might take a few minutes , but freezing when scanning the FIRST file in the list- i.e. : not going to the next file - indicates TDS crashing or becoming unresponsive in another way .

Also : this wasn't the case a couple of weeks ago , it proceeded to next file in a matter of seconds . You can't tell me it takes TDS minutes to scan a 50 kb file - if that were the case , there's something seriously wrong with the scanning engine.

But seeing the reply to this ( the reply basically saying , if no-one else is having this problem it doesn't exist- Microsoft approach ) , I have now decided to uninstall TDS and wait for TDS 4 .

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Hurricanetracker,

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems !

Of course I do not know exactly what went wrong on your system.
    But please allow me to point again what Linney also posted.

Have you enabled "Process Memory Space Scan" in the Startup Scanning of TDS-3?
    This scanning might take a lot of time, depending on your system.
    It is a very important part of TDS-3.
    But I would advice to not let it do its scanning on start-up.
    Instead I advice to do its scanning manually.

Well, where can you find the option to enable/disable that particular scan on start-up?
    (I think that I explained it in the "Basic Configuration" thread for TDS-3).

In TDS-3:
    Configuration >
    Startup >
    Startup Scanning >
    don't put a checkmark in the box "Process Memory Space Scan"

Screenshot will follow.

PS-1:
    You said that you uninstalled TDS-3.
    Did you do it in the proper way?
    First the Execution Protection needs to be disabled before you uninstall TDS-3.

PS-2:
    Would you please like to try it another time ? ;)
    Thanks a lot !!!

PS-3:
    Someone called the "Process Memory Space Scan" long ago the "Process Memory Space Cake Scan" :D

Attached Files:

5. Hurricanetracker

I will sure try that _ I bought TDS 3 because it's the best there is ( according to all tests I saw ) , so I am in no way planning to abandon it .

The process scan is switched on , but this never took so long before and size or attributes of the files hasn't changed . I uninstalled TDS for now ( in the right way as you pointed out ) , but will try it again very soon . Could be installation somehow got corrupted .

It doesn't just take long for TDS to scan , it simply freezes at the first file it scans ( I waited for about 5 minutes and it was still scanning the first file - a file of about 50 KB- size , that simply isn't a "slow scan " it's a freeze ) .

I know the scan takes a while - a couple of minutes at least - but 5 minutes for a 50 Kb file is a bit steep :)

I'll simply re-install it in a couple of days and see what happens then . Wil report on it also , so you'll know if it was indeed a corrupted installation .

Got NOD32 running at the moment so chances of getting infected with anything nasty are slim anyway ;)

6. linney

linney Registered Member

Clearly the problem for you does exist. The point being made was that it is not a common problem or well known problem with TDS-3. This indicates perhaps it is a problem with your configuration overall. This is not going to please you, but at the same time it is not meant to be a personal slur on you, just the beginning of a process of elimination to find the cause of the problem.

Perhaps some other process you are running is causing the conflict. As this was not occurring two weeks ago it may be as a result of some changes you have made on your machine during this time?

At this point in time perhaps all it needs is a reinstall of TDS-3 just to see if that cures the problem.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, a posible corrupt install has been mentioned, the other question you answered already about possible changed or corrupt files.
    Now only remains what did you change when the problem started? A new install, (possible system files overwritten with other versions) other configuration, etc?
    You did close all other scanners and resident protection at the moment of (un)installing did you?

8. Hurricanetracker

Yes, My impresion is the installation was corrupted in some way ( I did cllose all other "security - programs " while uninstalling TDS ). There's no way to know why it got corrupted however .I didn't install any new programs at the time - the only thing I did was replace the cfg- file for automatic updating in TDS . I replaced that file with the latest available at TDS-download site .
    I didn't change the configuration at all so I'm at a loss on what caused this .

It could be an update of one of the other security programs caused this , but I have no way of knowing which one and why .

I will re-install TDS today and see what happens then .It's simply impossible to find any other explanation ( the process scanning worked just find before , so it's beyond me why it suddenly is having trouble with Windows session manager file - it freezes when scanning that so it must be something in that file ) . Anyway : we will only know for certain if it was a corrupted installation after I try a re-install.

9. Hurricanetracker

Just did a re-install and TDS seems to be working again . update it manually and got definitions for 7-2-2005 so that's good as well .

Obviously installation got corrupted at some time . Will try to ascertain - by monitoring the various program-updates - which one was or is the " culprit "

During all of this , I also received a PM asking me for my registration file ( " and what would you like in exchange " ) . I was not amused . Have forwarded that one to webmaster . Can't have any members on this board trying to obtain TDS free of charge :)

Could be any of these by the way : MS anti-spyware, Spybot,Spyware guard,Spyware blaster, NOD32 , Agnitum outpost pro . Will need to monitor each of those :D

10. linney

linney Registered Member

"Could be any of these by the way : MS anti-spyware, Spybot,Spyware guard,Spyware blaster, NOD32 , Agnitum outpost pro . Will need to monitor each of those"

For what it is worth I am running all the above except "Spyware guard, Spyware blaster" with out a problem.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.