TDS-3's E-mail Setup

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by godzillex, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godzillex

godzillex Registered Member

I need to send some files to DiamondCS via TDS-3. So I configure the "E-mail Setup" (found in the Server tab) by using the same SMTP Server name as my e-mail client, and also enter my e-mail address in the next field. The problem is that when I click on the "Test Email" button, TDS comes back with this error message:

[SMTP] Failed - MAIL FROM error: 550 5.7.0 (mp017) Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login

It looks as if the server is complaining about not having a password, and I can't seem to find a place to enter it in TDS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    ~godzillex

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, that has to do with your mailserver, not with TDS.
    Hoped it was solved, for many people it was, but some mailservers still want more and so your only way till now will be to attach the zipped files in an email to submit@diamondcs.com.au
    The SMTP plugin will have the same authification problem then......
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but i don't see another solution at this moment.

3. godzillex

Hey there Jooske,

No problem; I can certainly use my e-mail client to send in the files.
    However, it seems odd that the only thing that is missing from the TDS-3 to complete its e-mailing operation is the lack of an additional password field!
    All the SMTP servers that I've ever known, require a password in order to complete the login procedure.

I wonder if we can get some input from the developers on this?

Thanks again Josske.
    ~godzillex

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In the private forum a few years ago it was discussed and solved as far as possible, but if it is just a passwordthing........... might have been dealt with for TDS-4 , good to bring it into the daylight from maybe long forgotten caves :D
    With the TCP connect it is possible to email as well, and you can type in anything needed, including passwords i suppose then, but i am not familiar with the codes needed to type in, nor did i ever find a good list on internet about them.
    But then still you would not be able to attach the files to that function.
    Is the authentification password needed for your ISP's mailserver? I mean: would also your normal emailclient not work if you uncheck that authentification part in it?

5. godzillex

Yes. Both my e-mail client, and the servers at the ISP end will also work with no authentication as well. It's just that I always prefer to use the "CRAM-MD5 authentication" to keep the transactions secure while enroute.
    The ISP will actually lower its authentication requirment if it sees that the client has not requested (or does not support) any forms of authentication. In which case, normal SMTP takes place.
    But in the case of the TDS-3, the problem is not the authentication protocol (it really doesn't need to have one). There is just no input field to supply the necessary password to connect to my ISP server.
    Hopefully as you pointed out, TDS-4 will resolve this minor nuisance.

~godzillex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.