TDS-3 quit in the middle of a scan

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by phduffey, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phduffey

phduffey Registered Member

After removing Welchia and Blaster worms at the computer store, I ran TDS-3 and it quit about two hours into the full scan, with an error message which I reported to Microsoft.
    Should I redownload TDS-3?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there phduffey,
    which error message was it?

I'd suggest you update the radius today again and give it another try.
    Look carefully if it would crash again where it happens.
    Is this only in the full system scan, is it on a special drive or partition or file maybe?

Also remember the Full System Scan is the heaviest process, (scanning always is for every scanner) and most certainly on slower systems with less memory make sure you close unnecessary other processes for the moment, to give the scanner all room for the job and speed up the process

Please let us know how it goes.

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

If you have any folders that contain incomplete RAR archives, exclude them from the scan - or turn off ZIP/RAR scanning :)

If this solves the problem then it is indeed the RAR bug, if you have multi part RAR archives TDS expects the next volume and gets an error back from the unRAR DLL.

4. Paul Duffey

Paul Duffey Guest

I don't know how to tell if I have incomplete RAR packages, and I don't know how to turn of the scan for ZIP/RAR files. Can you tell me step by step? By the way, a subsequent scan completed okay after downloading the updated radius, so I may not need to do the above. Thanks! Paul

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TDS Console > System Testing > Scan control > uncheck the ZIP/RAR archives.

With this you will only detect live trojans/worms, if you have archives checked also the sleeping ones. And you would have that extra option in case of a new scan problem.
    You might like to look at the scanning process and the files being scanned at the moment, written on top of the bottom console during the scanning, so you have some indication in case of a crash in which folder to look for it.
    You could search there for rar files and try with un-rarring them if there are possible error messages.

6. phduffey

phduffey Registered Member

Thank you all for your informative answers. Problem was solved by downloading update file and rescanning. :-*

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Glad to read so! Thanks for telling and lots of luck with your TDS and system!

You might like to try with the ZIP/RAR archives checked again in a next scan if it is still ok then; in the case you would get trouble again you would know there must be a damaged RAR archive somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.