TDS-3 - PC-cillin I.S. 2004 'over-lapping'

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by wayne_b, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

I agree with having 'layered' protection but 'over-lapping' protection concerns me!

current system Protection
    PC-cillin I.S. 2004
    TDS-3 (just purchased today)
    Spyware Guard
    Spyware Blaster
    Hardware Firewall

Next purchase
    Process Guard

The Q regarding 'over-lapping'
    In PC-cillin I.S. 2004 Under [Scan settings] "search for and clean Trojans" and "scan for spyware" [checked] A good idea if one is using TDS-3 or should one [un-check] "search for and clean Trojans" and "scan for spyware" in PC-cillin I.S. 2004?

-wayne

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Personally, I would leave it on as a sort of double check but if you have TDS3's execution protection installed I think TDS3 would stop the Trojan running anyway.

Process Guard would be a very good addition as this will protect against many of the new threats that can circumvent AV's, AT,s and firewalls. :)

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Only the moment you do an active scan with the PC-cillin don't do a Full System Scan with TDS at the same moment; and if you want to do a TDS scan close the PC-cillin resident protection and scanning process completely till TDS is finished, so in both cases the scanners have full access to all files and processes for scanning.

Each program has their own database and ways for detection, TDS does detect trojan spyware and adware, but to see if it is removed completely you will like to use your SpybotS&D and Ad-Aware, for instance.
    Not familiar yet with those aspects in PC-cillin.

Worms -- WormGuard has an exec protection too, different from TDS and more for worms and scripts, so it sounds as an overlap but it is only slightly and works different; TDS uses some of the WormGuard technologies but that is different and not a real overlap, more an addition.

Port Explorer, you can see which processes and applications are connecting to the outside world, to add to the trojan detection.

ProcessGuard you discovered already :)

4. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Thanks Pilli and Jooske

I do use Ad-Aware ;)

WormGuard;
    My understanding is that it was created before WinXP thus may cause certain problems depending on XP/Application settings. Main reason why it wasn't mentioned as a next purchase.

Process Guard;
    I give higher priority then that of WormGuard, reason it is my next purchase :)

Was concerned from what I have read, that TDS being a resource-hog.. Found that not to be the case at all!! haven't noticed any slugishness with my system :cool:

-wayne

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

TDS only consumes resources when doing a full system scan as it is looking very deeply into every file. Execution protection uses practically no resources as it just hooks a program on start up which adds a very tiny delay to a process starting.

Process Guard uses very few resources. When you get PG you will be able to see execution protection in action ;)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

ProcessGuard for sure is very important, and it would be my next buy in the row too, so are the others.

On my good old system wormguard is very ok, so it is on many other XP systems too, guess that depends on local circumstances and only with trying the evaluation version you know what it does for you. Also this takes very little resources, only at the moment when it jumps up.

After ProcessGuard i would certainly look at Port Explorer too, to see all in action and the ability to throttle bandwidth for individual processes, spy and kille them, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.