TDS-3 or TDS-4

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Antarctica, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I am a newbie with Diamond Product. I just installed the new version of Process Guard and I really like it.
    I was thinking to acquire Trojan Defense Suite but After reading different threads in the Forum, I saw that a new version was suppose to be release soon.

So my question is, should I install TDS-3 now or wait until TDS-4 is released?

Thank you in advance for your advice. :eek:

2. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

If you buy TDS-3 you'll be automatically entitled to a free upgrade to TDS-4,5,6?... and so on. I really like this tiny company :D
    You can try TDS-3 while waiting the fourth one ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  3. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

4,5,6? I think i'm in love. :)

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Antarctica, Buying TDS3 now will entitle you to a free upgrade to TDS4 :)

Glad you like ProcessGuard. :cool:

Cheers. Pilli

5. bloodscourge

Patience is a Virtue :p Joke aside, I'm really interested in what would be the fourth coming.

6. Antarctica

Thank you guys for your answer. :)

7. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I have two questions that I believe are relevant to this thread.

1) Are you actually entitled to a free upgrade to TDS-5 and TDS-6, etc.?

2) Is there going to be a sort of subscription charge in the foreseeable future?

8. bloodscourge

I was kidding when I said that. I'm the proud owner of two DiamondCS licences (TDS, PG) but I'm not a representative of DiamondCS! LOL!
    But it seems that TDS-1,2 licensees got free upgrade to 3 and that TDS-1,2,3 licensees will be entitled to a free upgrade to 4... for the 5,6 I don't know :D

LONG LIFE TO DIAMONDCS!

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi Quexx88,

1 - As it stands today, based only on past experience ... Yes. But nothing is written in stone ... and that may change in the future.

2 - This has been mentioned ... no exact details yet ... I believe at the release of TDS4, these details will also be presented.

Steve

10. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Oh well, I just bought a license :)

Now I have ewido and TDS-3 to play with :D

11. dog

dog Guest

You won't regret it!!! ... you just bought The Best AT on the Market IMHO. ;) Not only is it a great product, but a great company too. The scary thing is ... TDS4 will be even better! ... and you maybe getting that new toy much sooner than you think. ;) I can't wait. :)

Steve

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Antarctica,
    I also agree that TDS is awesome. I also own Port Explorer, Worm Guard, and Process Guard and I feel that all of these products excel at what they do. For what it's worth, this forum is yet another product of DiamondCS that excels at providing useful information to its users. However, I have to question the advice given to you in this particular case. TDS-4 is allegedly being released this year. That means in less than 20 days you will have access to version 4. In my opinion, you should wait because TDS-4 is going to be significantly different, there is no reason to risk potential conflicts of having to install version 4 over version 3, if you buy version 3 now only to get an upgrade to version 4 in 20 days when version 5 comes out it could be said that you've already had a free upgrade, and it's only 20 days.

* bold added to answer question of "why [to wait]" below

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  13. dog

dog Guest

Why?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26249

Steve

14. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I edited my post above to address dog's question.

15. dog

dog Guest

Well that is assuming the gravy train of free Upgrades continues past TDS4 ... which I do presume it will ... although maybe with a needed definitions subscription, which has been mentioned and is more than warranted, in my mind, considering the daily updates Gavin/DCS provides us. But DCS will make those announcements, I believe with the release of TDS4. With that said beyond the free Upgrade to 4, DCS has made no comment/promise on/about future releases in regards to TDS. :)

I can't really see there being an issue/conflict with upgrading ... DCS does do extensive beta testing. But anything is possible ... although I do think unlikely.

Steve
    Registered User & Fan of DCS (PG, WG, PE, TDS, and CS)

I hope the discount will apply to a definitions subscription ... I'm almost maxed out. :p ... But I Will Beta test for freebies ... ;) ;) ;) :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2004
  16. Antarctica

Hi dallen,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I think you have a good point and I may follow your advice. What's 20 day, your'e right... ;)

17. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Just remember that the '20 days' is just speculation at the moment (unless someone 'in the know' can correct me.) It has been mentioned in other threads that TDS4 will be released in 2004, but I have yet to read any post by DCS that definately gives a release date, and we all know how long TDS4 has been in development.
    If anyone knows better please let me know :D
    Tom

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Antartica

With all due respect to Dallen I think his logic is a bit flawed. I personally think it is silly to wait when you can add the protection of TDS-3 right now. It is still the best. Besides all the hype aside, I can't find where DCS said for sure it will be 20 days. Did I miss something?

Pete

19. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57248

It is strongly implied in this thread, though I haven't seen anyone with an absolute, definite answer.

20. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Antarctica,
    The choice is entirely yours. I just offered my opinion.

Peter2150,
    My logic is not flawed. Maybe the way I communicated the logic has caused you not to understand it, so I will clarify.

The question posed is should one purchase version 3 or wait for version 4.
    Based on the aforementioned strong implication that version 4 will be here before the end of the year, I deduced that the best choice would be to wait.
    The logic used to make this deduction is as follows:
    Buying version 3 would mean that one would have to set it up, become familiar with its features, then upgrade to version 4. We all know that upgrading can mean completely uninstalling and softwares don't always uninstall without leaving traces behind, for example folders and an altered registry. We also know that learning the ins and outs of TDS-3 takes time. If version 4 is right around the corner it may not be the best use of one's time, considering version 4 is supposed to me significantly different. Also, DiamondCS has been very good about giving owners of older versions free upgrades. This generosity can't be expected to continue indefinately. Assuming it won't, it may be beneficial in the future to be able to say, "I purchased version 4 origianlly, so I've never been given a free upgrade."

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I would purchase TDS-3 for the following reasons:

1) I do not like purchasing products that are newly released, especially if it is major upgrade. Usually there are lots of problems of all types.

2) Current TDS-3 policies allow users to enjoy future upgrades. There is no way to know what the upgrade policies will be with future versions.

3) There is no reason to believe that a release is imminent. It may or may not happen.

But do agree that upgrades do take extra time and it would be nice to avoid them if possible. Right now I am avoiding the new ProcessGuard release because I do not want to go through the whole process of Learn Mode again. I'll probably wait for a couple of releases. Maybe they will have a way to automate it in the future.

Rich

22. dallen

dallen Registered Member

richrf makes good points.
    However, I disagree with the statement:
    I would urge you to visit the link that se7engreen mentioned. Of course there is no promise, but all indications indicate that not only is the release imminent but it is upon us.

I mentioned that it may be to your benefit to wait. My reasoning being that companies often entice you to purchase their software by promising future upgrades. DiamondCS has allowed these free upgrades to continue from version 1 to the yet to be released version 4. My rationale being that purchasing version 4 may allow you a better chance at getting a free upgrade to their next version because you would have never been given an upgrade. However, richrf brings up the fact that it may actually work against you. DiamondCS could change their policy with the release of version 4. The point is that it could work both ways.

23. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

This is what I bet.....................i bet your not a Flyfisherman, right Dallen :)

24. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Rainwalker,
    It's always nice to see you here. :D
    How'd ya guess?

25. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Here's my thinking:

TDS-3 currently costs $49.00 (U.S.) if you buy it from the DCS website.

There has been no announcement of what the new TDS-4 will cost. (It may be more expensive, it may not be). At any rate if you buy TDS-3 now, all you'll have to actually pay for when TDS-4 rolls out is the updates (however much those might be).

Of course, if you don't want all the features found in TDS-3 (or the new TDS-4 Pro or whatever they call it), you could just take your chances that one of the stand-alone offerings they're going to make (unless that's changed) might better suit your style or need (and the stand-alone's would almost certainly cost less).

Me, I'd buy TDS-3 - getting used to working with the current interface and using the tools included will more than likely stand anyone in good stead when TDS-4 rolls out (whenever that may be).

Besides, TDS-3 in its' own right is a very formidable program as is (I've been relying on it for years) - that would be why it's the first vendor program in my sig.

Just some stray thoughts in case your not confused enough about what to do already. Good night. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.