TDS-3 at windows start up?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Eliot, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

SHould I have TDS-3 start with windows? I mean is it necessary if I run TDS-3 daily anyway? I just don't like having alot going on at startup. Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Eliot,

I have the same reservations about a cluttered startup as well. I satisfy myself with just waiting after the system has finished loading up and before opening up and network app I manually launch TDS and initiate a Radius update.

Regards,

Dan

3. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

Ok, then I should have asked this first as well: Should I let it run all the time or is a dalily scan enough?

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hey :)

Well, opinions vary on that. I typically prefer to keep it running as often as possible and do full scans less frequently (maybe once or twice a month). For me, there are a couple of things that argue for leaving it active

1. Execution Protection will only function if TDS is running

2. I like to have Andreas's excellent "screx" TDS script running which has a slew of features including (but not limited to) portscan detection, trojan emulation with defense commands, log monitoring (of various firewalls or Port Explorer), IRC chat mini-client, etc.

Many people prefer to do full scans more frequently.

HTH,

Dan

5. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

Let it run 24/7 is my choice then. Thanks and yes it did help out. I leave it running and then I do not have to scan with it since it will not let it through to start with. Perfect answer. TDS-3 ROCKS!!!

6. Finn McCool

Finn McCool Registered Member

You'll still want to scan occasionally, just in case a trojan got through before it was included in the radius file.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again!
    you might like to check your startup if all is really necessary at the startup or can be started manually when needed.
    I have the habit of removing autostart keys if i notice i don't need a program all time which spares bunches in bootup time too.
    WormGuard has already another kind of execution protection and this is sitting in the background all time so i hope my system is enough protected with that part till the TDS exec protection adds it's force to it after the TDS start.
    I would not like to have it closed a single moment, using the various tools too often!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.