tcpsvcs.exe Problem (please help!!)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Capp, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Up until Friday, I was running Norton 2004 AV with Norton Internet Security. I uninstalled it and installed the newest version of NOD32. Since then, my tcpsvcs.exe consistently uses 100% of the cpu. I have tried adjusting every setting I can find and even disabling it. The only way I have gotten it to stop maxing it out is to uninstall NOD completely.

Here's what I've done:
    1) uninstalled NAV
    2) uninstalled Norton Internet Security
    3) re-installed NOD32 (2.000.9) and did a live-update
    4) used registry cleaner to get rid of old reg keys
    5) ran netstat -a to see what was hogging all the cpu usage (nothing unusual)

To continue working with it, I usually kill the process and everything goes back to normal.

I have Window XP Home Sp1, 512 ram, AMD processor

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I'm beyond frustrated about this.

Thank You

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

BTW...I read all the other posts on this forum about the problem. I have the service running because I use it for my LAN i have in my house. I have tried everything suggested on the other threads...Did anybody figure out exactly what needs to be done to fix this? Thanks

3. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi Capp:

You may want to download the latest (2.12.3) which is currently only available through the web and see if it fixes your issue.

After uninstalling any antivirus (or protocol dependent application) it is a good practice to run WinsockFix found here

Drop us a note if it helps. ;)

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I fixed it...

I do have version 2.12.3 installed.

I checked my installed Windows Components, Networking Services, Simple TCP/IP and unchecked it. For some reason, my system had it installed. I removed it and everything is working wonderfully now.

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I installed and ran the WinSockFix and it hosed my system. It did it's thing, beeped at me and restarted my system. Now I can only boot to safe mode and I get an error "Svchost.exe cannot read memory...". I have tried using restore points, i have tried registry backups and I am at a loss. Does anybody else know a way to restore the settings of thiso_O

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

There is a manuel way that works really well at the bottom of post number 2 here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47830

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I followed the steps in the link exactly and didn't accomplish a thing, so I dug a little deeper. Finally, the correct error log appeared in my system events. I had installed tcp/ip v.6 about a year ago to practice with it before it becomes relavent. (and forgot about it), when I ran the suggested winsockfix tool, it blew it out. Once it crashed, it crashed the svchost.exe that ran it and all the other services ran by that host. I went into services and started them all one-by-one with no probs, got to tcpipv6 and it crapped out killing all the others. I uninstalled, rebooted and it's never worked better.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and maybe this will help someone in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.