TCPIP.sys

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Joliet Jake, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Hi,
    Someone on a forum I use tried to install a patch but NOD32 deleted it. I visited the site he downloaded it from (will post the address if asked to) and IMON popped up a warning message...

Is this a false positive?

Thanks...

JJ:cool:

Attached Files:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Probably it isn't a false positive , it is just a pottentially dangerous tool

If you want to use it , just disable the detection for Pottentially Dangerous Applications in AMON and IMON . Althought it is a PDA , be careful with it !

3. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

It's not a false postitive:

It's a tool that is usually used non-maliciously but can be used maliciously by a hacker; so it depends on who uploaded it onto the forum you use whether or not they are doing this maliciously or not.

Attached Files:

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Thanks guys. It's not for me but I'll let the person know what you guys have said.

JJ:cool:

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

6. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

See this post for more information. If you want an example of how this patch can be used maliciously, have a look at the Sober.Y worm (scroll down to the end).

7. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

because of this confusion, Eset have to improve their maleware information window/warning in NOD32 Version 3, so that the user can better understand what is actually happen..

Kaspersky does it better at the moment, they will display/popup different color and information/warning windows/messages on different kinds of maleware or potential unwanted apps! :thumb:

But with always the same warning in NOD32 and no other and detailed information, it is difficult to distinguish between really a virus, worm, trojan, etc. malware, or "only" software (potentially unwanted software), which can be abused by maleware, etc. :isay: :cautious:

I hope Eset will improve that in NOD32 v3! :p :shifty:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

8. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

^^ A very nice suggestion, +1.

9. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Yes a nice suggestion.:thumb:
    At the moment it clearly shows the detected threat is 'Win32/Tool' but for some that is not enough.

Cheers :)

10. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

yes, correct. I speak especially for beginners/novices, etc. and users, which are unsure and want an clear and informative/detailed warning/info..! :D

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.