TCHunt 1.1

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by e4m, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e4m

e4m Registered Member

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Tested on Windows XP SP3 w/Truecrypt 6.1a container, 13 false possitives out of 14 and TC Hunt 1.1 still did not identify the container as a Truecrypt container

3. e4m

e4m Registered Member

It found all of mine, but it doesn't label the files it found as anything. It just lists them out.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

You wouldn't need to use TCHunt on any of my PCs, as all of my TrueCrypt containers are stored in easily identifiable data folders and they all have descriptive filenames and .tc extensions. I see no point whatsoever in attempting to hide my use of encryption. Strong encryption is what protects your data, not a mostly pointless attempt to hide it or disguise it.

5. box750

box750 Registered Member

I recently posted a message on Truecrypt forums about TCHunt and an administrator deleted it, then I got a PM saying that the message had been deleted because TCHunt was a scam and it had already been discussed in the past.

They made the very good point that TCHunt name is misleading, since what it does is to find files with random data, and not specifically encrypted Truecrypt files, which just happen to be random data as well.

6. markoman

markoman Registered Member

Probably, you have the luck to live in a country in which human rights are respected (at least to some extent) and in which you won't be tortured/threatened in order to get the key to your encrypted files.

In situations different than yours, hiding the fact of having any encrypted data makes the difference between life and death.

TCHunt, by the way, IMHO, is nothing special: just few lines of code that look for files with particular charachteristics. Nothing really related to TC.

7. e4m

e4m Registered Member

A scam? It costs nothing and it found all of my TrueCrypt files. I would not call that a scam. The TC moderators are *still* deleting posts, huh? They delete all kinds of stuff. Not just posts about TCHunt. Par for the course. From wikipedia: "The domain name "truecrypt.org" was originally registered to a false address ("NAVAS Station, ANTARCTICA")[8][9], and was later concealed behind a Network Solutions private registration.[10]" Sounds like they know a thing or two about scamming people.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  8. dantz

dantz Registered Member

It's very easy to encrypt data, but it's extremely difficult to hide it in such a way that a skilled investigator would be unable to find a trace of it and would have no suspicion that it existed. Most people who think they can get away with this simply don't realize how deep the water is.

If I lived in a country where the possession of encrypted data was a matter of life or death then I would definitely not have any encrypted data on my computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.