TC hidden/decoy on separate drives

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ioniz, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ioniz

ioniz Registered Member

Searching the web for answers and found this beautiful forum - So I'll try asking you guys :)

Is it possible to accomplish this with truecrypt?

SSD with encrypted W7
    +
    HDD with encrypted W8

+ pre-boot authentication that works the same as in a hidden OS scenario = password prompt that mounts the volume for which the right password was entered and doesn't give away the existence of the other one -> it tries to mount both.

I'd normally go for the hidden OS setup, but I want to be able to have the hidden OS ready for regular use (internet, unencrypted flash drives..) and my SSD is not big enough to hold two copies of the OS anyway.

Any input on how to accomplish this is very welcome :)

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Using the hidden method, I don't think so. I think both partitions need to be on the same device...but check on that. You *can* encrypt both separately and put, say, the bootloader for the Win8 disk on an external device, and boot it from the BIOS.

PD

3. ioniz

ioniz Registered Member

Thank you!

So if I understand it right -

I could (after encrypting both systems separately) remove the bootloader from one of the encrypted drives, put it on a flash drive & set USB as the first boot device. The result would be these two scenarios:

a) flash drive not connected - PC boots into the password check for the encrypted system that HAS a bootloader present = the "decoy". Always available.

b) flash drive connected - PC boots into the password check for the encrypted system that has its bootloader on the flash drive = the "hidden" one. Available only with the flash drive inserted.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

It should work, as I have it that way...but I don't encrypt the decoy, I use all Win 7, both my partitions are on one physical disk, and I've never tried Win 8 with TC. You're going to have to play around with it...let us know how it goes. Most BIOS' have a boot menu, no need to set it as first boot device.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.