Tasks don't run

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marstein, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marstein

marstein Registered Member

I have defined a backup location and a task on Acronis Home 11 build 8053.
    The problem is that I created the tasks, they ran fine for a while and now they just don't run any more. So I wanted to edit the task to change it a little bit, like a hit to the head. Acronis crashes - the window disappears and the DrWatson error reporting offers to send a report to Microsoft. (I am attaching the report - appcompat.txt)

The whole task thing is a mess. It is hard to use and doesn't seem to work very well. I just want to have a baseline backup, differentials or incrementals every day for 5 days and then a new baseline with the old stuff deleted. In ghost that was super-easy. Please.

Attached Files:

2. marstein

No ideas? I am really stuck at the moment...

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'd try running chckdsk /r/f/c from the Run command --it will ask if you want to run the scan on next reboot --say yes.

I'd then also delete and recreate the Backup Locations and Tasks. Sometimes that fixes probs with those things.

4. marstein

Today I manually started the task and the backup didn't complete. I am disappointed with ATI - the logs are not very insightful - not enough information. I have attached today's. What is a message like "Archive computer .closed" supposed to mean?
    There are no log entries for the time periods the backup should have run.

I have read the advice to delete and recreate the tasks and the backup locations and it gets old quick. It was faster to use the free version and do it manually. Why can't the programmers get a scheduler working in years of development time?

Attached Files:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello marstein,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;
    - Issue the following commands:

service stop
    service uninstall
    service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr;

If the problem still persists then please do the following:

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
    - Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;
    - Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe) once more;
    - Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Schedule backup creation once again;
    - Wait until the scheduled backup will fail;
    - Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Regarding the problem with creating backups manually: could you please clarify, where were backups directed to (internal drive, external one, network one)? What is the filesystem on that drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. foxpyt

foxpyt Registered Member

Hi

I have the same problem that my task dont run at all. By the way I suppose, that i am not obliged to have ATrue Image running to have my task started.

I went through the above described procedure:

Until :"- Collect schedreport.txt;"

Before when I issued the command: "service start"
    It says: "path not found"

I checked the schedreport.txt. And i noticed following:

Error: 1722 (0x6BA) - Der RPC-Server ist nicht verfügbar.

I checked then the properties of the service "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" in computer administration and i found the path to the service ist:
    "C:\Programme\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe"

But this path does not exist on my computer!!

I searched for schedul2.exe on my computer and found it in:
    C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Acronis\Schedule2

So there must be something wrong with path attribute of the service schedul2.exe.

But I am not familiar with computer enough to fix that problem.

Can u give me a hint.

Thank you

Fox

7. shieber

Ahhh! If ATI is putting he wrong path inthe registry for the services needed to run tasks, then that would certainly keep them from running.

8. foxpyt

foxpyt Registered Member

Yes, and how to fix that??

Looking forward for an answer.

Fox

9. marstein

Hi Marat,
    thanks for getting back to me. I will go through the procedure.
    I already ran the schedmgr commands and will see if the happen. I am doubtfull.

After running the commands above I opened ATI again and there is a massage that no backups have been scheduled yet in yellow. Confused I go to the 'manage tasks' window where my two tasks are listed. Status, schedule and everything is empty, owner is 'unknown'. I click on one task and do 'Edit task' and ATI crashes.

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Based on the path supplied by you, perhaps this can help. I'm not 100% sure this is your solution.

If you Click on Start/RUN and type in RegEdit (and press Enter)
    Browse to this location below in the registry (and also pictured in the attachment)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    Change the
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
    to this
    "C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
    Save changes & reboot.
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del key and check Processes.
    You should have both schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe listed as running.
    You should also compare the paths shows for the other two programs listed in the Run statement.
    final-ac1.gif
    After the changes to the registry, the service below should be running.
    final-ac2.gif

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  11. shieber

Grover's fix shoud do the trick for an immediate "fix" really it's a repair here. Probably Acronis will have to fix something in ATI to prevent this happening again -- I'm guessing it is aasuming a default path when it writes the registry entry rather than the "actual" data.

12. marstein

It is fairly clear that the developers have hardcoded the path to the common files directory. Two clues:

1. The c:\program files\common files\acronis\schedule2\schedhlp.exe path is in all lower case. In reality it is mixed case. The developer was too lazy to hit the shift key.

2. Even worse - they used the literal string instead of asking Windows for the path to the common files directory. There is an API to do that and they didn't use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.