taskmngr32.exe

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ellison64, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

A friend at work asked me today if i could set his wifes computer up for pay as you go dial up internet connection.Thier daughter had already tried tiscali dial up but couldnt connect.I tried two dial up connections and while the connection is made IE tries to load the webpage and popup appears that says "there is an incoming call waiting for you...click ok".Whther you click or not the internet connection then breaks.Now they have a normal bt line with just one downstairs phone connected.They dont have call waiting.I checked modem properties and everything seems ok.I disabled all start up items except the sound volume ,and rebooted and dialled again.Again the popup and same result.I then opened taskmanager and saw nothing suspicious apart from 2 taskmanager entries.The first was
    taskmgr.exe which i believe is a legetimate file and the second was named taskmngr32.exe in system 32 directory.Now im not totally familiar with XP pro which is what they run ,but from googling ,the taskmngr32 in system 32 sounds fishy.Can anyone confirm this to be the case from experience?
    tia
    ellison

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

"taskmngr32.exe" - there is no such file in the WINDOWS\system32 folder of a Windows XP Pro installation.

I would kill/terminate that exe and delete it. Or just to be sure, upload it at VirusTotal.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for the info.I couldnt get the conection to stay on long enough to upload anything.I did install avast for them and left them to scan the computer.They did say that avast detected a trojan ,and have left it for me to look at on monday.The only thing i was unsure of was the popup about the incoming call.I couldnt see any programs running in taskmanager or see any option in modem properties for that to happen.I hope its part and parcel of the trojan.
    Thanks again
    ellison

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.