Taskguardian

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JeffNK, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffNK

JeffNK Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Jeff,

I have been doing some tests with that software after they asked permission to use the CLSID list at CastleCops. I haven't had a chance to test its effectiveness against any real malware, but I will be doing that shortly (I should, because the 21 day trial period is almost over) and post the results.
    My thoughts sofar is that is gives a already experienced user some more insights in what is going on on his computer. But a word of warning about their use to express the probability of something being malicious in percentages should be made IMO.

Look at the screenshot and you will see that it is easy to draw the wrong conclusions.

Regards,

Pieter

Attached Files:

3. Pieter_Arntz

A few quick experiments.

I registered a dll that was recently discovered (sample provided by CalamityJane)

Of course I monitored the process. You can see below how TaskGuardian shows a new startup entry (in yellow)

[​IMG]

When I registered the dll I used HijackThis to see if it worked, because TaskGuardian didn't do anything.
    This was the new entry:
    O2 - BHO: Windows Proxy support DLL - {2DC9D850-144D-11E1-B3C9-10805E499D93} - M:\Manege\openwares\winprox\winprox.dll

It was recently added to the CLSID-list as: http://castlecops.com/clsid-1781.html
    New items are added there very regularly, so it would be wise to inform how often updates will be done, since I did not find any options in the program to check for updates.
    What puzzled me is that the new BHO was only noticed after a restart of TaskGuardian. (screenshot)

[​IMG]

It did effectively remove the BHO without problems.
    When checking if the BHO was still loaded in memory I found one more thing I would have liked to see differently.
    You would expect to get the list of loaded Dynamic Components sorted alphabetically when you click the Loaded Module tab, but that doesn't happen, so you have to scroll through the list. (screenshot)

[​IMG]

I'll be back :D

Regards,

Pieter

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. JeffNK

JeffNK Registered Member

Thanks Pieter,

I look forward to any other test results you have time to post.

Jeff

5. Pieter_Arntz

My last day of the trial, so I had to rush it a bit.

A random named BHO was recognized and diagnosed correctly.

Attached Files:

6. Pieter_Arntz

Note for this screenshot that only the first (highlighted process) is malware.
    What I do like is that it gives the reasoning behind why a process might be "dangerous"
    You can see some of those in the right bottom corner.

Attached Files:

7. Pieter_Arntz

The Network Guardian does not show very much nor does it give much information. I think this part still needs a lot of work.

Attached Files:

8. Pieter_Arntz

As comparison a Port Explorer screenshot made with the computer in the same state.

Attached Files:

9. Pieter_Arntz

I hope I was able to give you an accurate impression of what you can expect.

Regards,

Pieter

10. muf

muf Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.