Tagging bug?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Dermot7, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

When I browse Wilders recently (don't know when, exactly, this started), I'm seeing a strange underlined tagging (unrequested) of seemingly random words, which happens in all 3 browsers I use.
    I'm guessing this is, most probably, a bug with this graphics card, as nobody else has reported similar?
    Any advice, please? It's not a problem, but would be nice to eradicate, if possible.

Attached Files:

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi Dermot7.

I've had/seen them for a couple of weeks too. If I put the cursor on one of the words it says something like "View more discussions on backdoor" or whatever the word is. :)

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That underlining is actually a cross referencing system for specific keywords in use on the forum.

A list of some 100 useful keywords get highlighted, and direct linked to a search for more topics containing the same word. It appears by default for guests. Members have the ability to turn it on or off in the User CP > Edit Options > under Thread Display Options...

disable tagged linking.jpg

If you have that box unchecked, they won't show while you are logged in. You will see them when browsing as guest though.

The searches have been specially tailored to provide the most useful results possible for each keyword. It attempts to exclude less useful threads, like many of the monster long threads which probably contain most every word in the English language.

Since we never enabled the "similiar threads" or "tag cloud" features, this function is used to provide that kind of functionality.

The list of keywords being tagged/highlighted is here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/tags.php

4. Dermot7

Thanks SweX, exactly as you describe :thumb:
    Glad I'm not alone.....only, don't seem to be seeing them right now, when I'm looking for them :D

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Ahh thank you, that explains why I only see them when I have logged out, or if I browse the forum before logging in :D

6. Dermot7

Thanks very much LWM, just wondering if this has been recently implemented, as I never noticed it previously?
    Or maybe I was unobservant, and never noticed...

In any case, it's good to know the reason.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, that's because we are logged in now, if we log out we should see them. :D

The "show tag links" is not enable in my account wich is why I don't see them now while being logged in. Well now we know what they are anyway and why they do/or do not show up wich is good :thumb:

8. Dermot7

Yeah, I'm clear about it now....sorted, thanks :thumb:

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Me too. It feels like they have been implemented not that long ago as I don't remember seeing them when browsing the forum as a guest let's say a couple months back or so. :doubt:

10. LowWaterMark

I wrote the application for this in early January and turn it on for guests at the end of that month. It's been on almost a month now.

For those wondering about this, try reading this next sentence while either logged out or with that User CP option checked. :D

A hacker may brute force your passwords, or install a rootkit or keylogger to exploit your sandbox, inspite of your security suite or virtualization app. Better use a strong passphrase, protect your BIOS and read what Brian Krebs writes about ransomware.

11. Dermot7

It may teach me not to do so much lurking! :ninja: :D

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha yeah that's a good example :D

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I noticed when I started to see these tags. A good idea, BTW.

I just wondered that it took this long for a comment to be made. ;)

14. LowWaterMark

Yeah, I was waiting for people to notice... Dermot7 wins the prize for starting a thread on it. :D

I did this to get a good cross reference system in place. Almost every forum has one, like the types I mentioned above. But this is a little different. I selected each word individually. For the "privacy" folks, we have words like: anonymous, Bitcoin, surveillance, and whistleblower. For the folks down in backups and disk mgmt, we have alignment, chkdsk, GPT, MFT, UEFI, and SSD. For the crypto folks, we have cryptographic, ... well, you get the idea. And each search term was customized for their results.

You will likely never see a normal post like the one I made above with 13 keywords tagged. I had to reach in order to make that post. But, if you are browsing for ISO disk mgmt and you happen upon WinPE, you might like the search results.

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The Tags still appear when opted out.

16. LowWaterMark

The flag only effects when you are signed into your forum account. When logged out, you will always see the tags. The flag doesn't change that.

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Can a Tag be created for all of the miscategorised WhatsApp posts :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.