Tablets can interfere with implanted defibrillators, stop hearts

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...re-with-implanted-defibrillators-stop-hearts/

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

This makes some sense actually, but, sadly, when was the last time we've known anyone to use anything per the manufacturer's specific instructions? There also needs to be a lot more testing done. I also want to know how this test was conducted.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Interesting. :thumb:

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-09/heart-patient-risk-from-ipad2-found-by-14-year-old.html

Gianna Chien, a 14 years old girl had to "remind" us of this. It never even occurred to me. If I was a heart patient with ICD, I can imagine myself forgetting and letting a tablet near my chest. :( This is quite serious. I think it's wise to pass the message around. You never know it might prevent a loss of life.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

How come it takes a 14yo kid to think of this stuff. I mean, gosh, it's not like the manufacturers should have ever wondered "Gee, I wonder what magnets would do to such devices?". And they spend the millions in R&D.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Manufacturers learned from their mistakes, releasing studies like mobile phones cause cancer, are not good for business. So they stop them ASAP or discard them afterwards.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm So is the "problem" only in the iPad2, or other tablets as well, and does it concern smartphones also. I mean the only difference is that you can't make phone calls with tablets. And from what I read, I didn't see any mention of other products, only iPad2 :doubt:

Interesting anyhow :)

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Ummm, then you might want to read it again as this has nothing to do with tablets or phones but rather magnets. Note it clearly states (my bold added),

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks. So any magnet could cause this, but yet they only mentions the iPad2 by name. I mean if it really affects many different electronic devices phones, tablets etc... that may have these magnets inside then why mention "Apple products" specifically, if other devices may have them as well :doubt:

10. Bill_Bright

Simply because that is what they were using. I suspect if they were using one of the new Microsoft tablets with the magnetically attached screen, then they would have said MS tablet. Remember, this was a 14 year old presenting the facts, not a professional researcher.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's what I think too.

Yes, it's a shame that they only used one product if it really affects so many more, now they make the iPad2 "look bad" while the others that probably are affected too goes unmentioned.

That's true, and I don't doubt that the facts are true, I just don't like when some one tests a product or whatever without comparison. Same if they/she only would have tested the MS Surface.

12. Bill_Bright

I don't see a problem here. They say clearly it is the magnets. If anyone thinks it is an attack on Apple, then they are simply taking that out of context.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Why would it be an attack on Apple? All I said was it would be better if there were several similar (in this case tablets) products tested, not one. :blink:

14. Bill_Bright

I said "attack" because clearly YOU seem to think Apple is being purposefully singled out.

I say why focus on tablets at all? Magnets are everywhere. Not just on tablets or cell phones. My fridge has several.

The problem here is not the 14 year old's findings, it is, once again, irresponsible reporting by the media.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

hmmmm.

Did you see this?
    Meaning that I would feel the same way about this, with whatever tablet from Apple, MS, Samsung. Vendor doesn't matter, it's blaming the tablet that's the problem, in this case the iPad2. I don't defend Apple I defend the tablet/s since like you say that this can be caused by any device that have these magnets inside. Therefore it's wrong to say this is caused by the iPad2 when it could be caused by (insert product name) that have magnets inside. Can't make my point of view any clearer now.

Well you could say I am on Apples side kind of if someone would blame them since they are the makers of the iPad2, and there are surely one or two iPad users out there in the world with implanted defibrillators that if they read this will get a bit scared of using their iPad, wich is why I think it's a bad idea to name the iPad in the article even if that was the particular product they were using in this case. And as you say users of MS tablets have no idea that they might cause this too.

That's kind of what I am saying, guess I could have used other words. But that's not what the article is saying.

Yes again we agree. Not the first time and surely not the last. The media can clearly start a debate....:)

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. Bill_Bright

No, it is not wrong, because it is true. What is wrong is to suggest or imply that ONLY the iPad is at fault.

The limited resources of the 14 year old is not to blame for only testing with the iPad. And while it was made clear it is the magnets (as opposed to some weird radio signals from the ipad) causing the problem, magnets should have been the primary focus of the article, and not iPads, IMO. That said, iPads are extremely popular so we often look to the market leaders to change how things are done. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

But, I agree, we are pretty much on the same page. The fault lies in the attempt to "sensationalize" the findings with brand name products to get more readers. The good side to that is it will (hopefully) bring more attention to the real problem - magnets.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nice to hear Bill :)

Edit:
    Yes I know exactly what you mean, they simply could have referred to the iPad2 in this case as "the tablet" the tablet does this or that.....and then mentioned that this test was done on an iPad2 but other tablets may be affected too. And then added that the magnets are found in many things such as blah blah....IMO

Bold=that's coming in Part 2 of the article I hope lol :D

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  18. Bill_Bright

Actually, the real problem is not magnets, but that these critical heart regulating devices can so easily and drastically be affected by common magnets.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I edited my post above, yes it's the combination of the two that can cause problems. And not that the magnets alone is the issue.

20. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Baggghhhhhhh.. Studies shmuddies.. I can put me cellphone on my laptop and call it. It more often than not crashes the computer.

I "blew up" my portable usb disk by having my cellphone conduct a call while it was resting on top of the disk.

The microwave oven interferes with cellphone calls and the bluetooth headset connection. I can hear popping like a Geiger counter.. If the phone is near the microwave and I'm making a call.

These three demonstrations are good enough for me to know that devices that transmit "stuff" can cause failures in others.

21. Bill_Bright

Apples and oranges! This article is about placing a magnet near a heart pacemaker. That is TOTALLY different from the interference issues caused by RFI from nearby "radio" or RF generating devices such as cellphones, Bluetooth, or microwave devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.