System virtualization and FDE

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by SafetyFirst, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

When I used PowerShadow I remember it always asked at boot time if I want a partial or full system virtualization.

I am planning to implement full disk encryption. When the preboot authentication asks me for the passphrase how can I choose if I want to boot in virtualized or non-virtualized fully encrypted OS?

This may sound silly to somebody, but it confuses me a bit and I want to make sure I do it properly.

Anything else to consider when combining full disk encryption and virtualization?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes. Have a tried and true recovery plan, in case, the two processes get confused, and leave you with platters of useless bits and bytes.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I can tell you that Truecrypt and Returnil get along fine. If you want the virtualization "on" you just reboot, put in TruecCrypt password and it boots into a Returnil "on" environment. Same for turning it off. Nothing is different except that the system drive is encrypted and you must put in the password on reboot, otherwise you use Returnil as normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.