system tray icon

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by 4now, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4now

4now Registered Member

I know there have been post in the past but I only found one - and it didn't help

I've been using Nod32 smoothly for over 2 years. But just recently the control center icon often fails to make the system tray at windows startup.
    In which case it moves into the 'past items' list (always show).

I've always used auto hide of my taskbar. I did a fresh reformat of my computer two months ago. Nothing new recently. Scans aren't revealing anything on my system

Can anyone tell me if there has been a solution to this problem.

thanks

2. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

Hmmm,

You've probably already tried this, but have you made sure that both processes are running after startup (no32krn.exe & nod32kui.exe)?

I would check msconfig and make sure that it is enabled there as a startup program. Also check the "services" tab in msconfig and make sure that the Nod kernal is checked there too.

3. 4now

4now Registered Member

yeah - its all there - thanks

the icon will pop onto the tray if I launch control center through the all programs list.

4. flexus

flexus Registered Member

I too am having this problem, but it didn't happen until I installed Zone Alarm Security Suite. Both NOD files are loaded and running, the tray icon just doesn't show up. Please help! Thanks.....o_O

5. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

I haven't used ZA in a while, but go into the program section and make sure that NOD is allowed or trusted as a program.

Then, there should be another tab/option that lets you see all the subprograms (?- I can't remember exactly what it's called). This is a much bigger list. Scroll through it and make sure that any NOD related programs/extensions are allowed (have a green check by them). It is possible that NOD is allowed, but some of it's smaller applications are not.

Reboot, and see if that fixes it.

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It may be worth entirely disabling / uninstalling any network utilities and then trying the 'Repair Now' button in the IMON setup, Miscelaneous tab, and then reboot. Apart from some of the XP related things that prevent tray icons in general, I've also seen slow-to-start network drivers cause this for the NOD32 Control Center.
    You could also try -->THIS<-- related thread if you haven't already.
    HTH :)

7. 4now

4now Registered Member

I appear to have the Nod Icon back after doing a reinstall. Strange - now my OutPost icon failed to make the system tray.

I didn't update to OutPost 3.5 (I've been watching the forums)

But I did do something new to my system that I forgot to mention. I recently set up a wireless connection with a LinkSys router.

Nod's icon use to beat the Outpost icon to the system tray. But after installing the router they are neck & neck during startup. Perhaps their timing is causing a conflict.

8. 4now

4now Registered Member

ok today -- Nod and Outpost were rushing for the system tray at the same time & Nod was pushed off

9. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

In an effort to keep things simple (for my benefit, not yours :) ), I'll throw out one more suggestion. Check the client compatability in IMON and see if Outpost is set to Higher Efficiency. If so, you may want to try setting it to Higher Compatibility and see if that helps.

Imon> Set Up> HTTP> Client Compatibility.

10. 4now

4now Registered Member

outpost.exe was at HC
    but it's automatic updater - aupdrun.exe was set to HE

could be it

before this-
    I tried uninstalling OutPost but I was unable because of an error - so I took a hard breath an updated to version 3.5

Nod was back on the system tray.

and a new updater version showed up with the default setting being Higher Compatibility - so I've left it there

we'll see

11. NOD32 user

XP has a 'feature' know as boot optimisation. It is responsible for changing the order in which applications and services start up at boot/login. That said, unless there is some other thing that wants to 'fight' with NOD32 as the network drivers and services are loaded and started, NOD32 normally has no issue with the boot optimisation 'feature'. HTH :)

12. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

OT: I notice every once in a while after a boot, my keyboard drivers won't load and I'll have a dead keyboard until I re-enable thru Device Manager. I'll check for conflicts and everything will be fine, yet the problem still persists (drivers are up to date).

I never had a problem like this until I had XP. Your answer helped me to understand this mystery that's plagues me periodically.

13. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

I had this happen to me yesterday for the first time. I can tell you that when the tray icon did not load, neither did NOD. After a reboot, all was fine and it has not happened since. Not sure what the deal is, but that is a huge problem should it ever go unnoticed.

14. NOD32 user

Normally, even if the tray icon fails to load the nod32krn.exe service should still have strated up. If you're finding that sometimes it's not, use the service management console to check that all recovery responses are set to 'restart the service' - that way if it fails at the firat attempt it will at least keep trying. :)

15. pr0duc3r

pr0duc3r Registered Member

Imma n00b to the program, but heard so many great things about it, i cant get an icon in the system tray, i seen that is not a problem, nod32kernal starts up like it should is that the only process that should start with windows, or should somethin else start up

16. alglove

alglove Registered Member

There are two processes that should start with Windows. The first is nod32krn.exe, which is the NOD32 Kernel Service and runs as a system service.

The second is nod32kui.exe, which is the taskbar icon and user interface. This one does not start up until you actually log in as a user. The startup entry for this one is located in the Windows registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run . The name of the entry is nod32kui, the type is REG_SZ, and the data is "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE . Check your registry to make sure this entry actually exists.

17. pr0duc3r

i got the nod32krn,starting with windows, and what do you mean that i have to actually log in as a user, open the Command Center...And no there is no registry that exist.

18. NOD32 user

If the registry entry alglove specified does not exist, and if you are knowing how to do so safely, you can go ahead an make it exist EXACTLY as alglove has specified it. It is this entry that loads the NOD32 Control Center into the tray when you log in.
    Cheers :)

19. Mover

Mover Registered Member

If you're still having trouble getting the icon to show up in the systray after checking your registry (as per alglove post), you can try this software to help Windows load startup applications properly instead of having them all bombard Windows at once (which is the real reason for the problem in the first place)

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

20. pr0duc3r

One problem with that program, in the list nod32krn is not there, but i did add nod32kui

21. Mover

Mover Registered Member

Nod32kui is what causes your control center to appear. Nod32krn is the kernel service. Delay the execution of nod32kui and you should be fine.

22. pr0duc3r

Thanks the program helped, caused alot of confusion but it finally worked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.