System Security Suite v1.04 by igorshpak.net/

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sev8910, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sev8910

sev8910 Registered Member

Could someone who is very knowledgeable with System Security Suite v1.04(free version) answer several questions so that I can set it up and know something about it. (1) the program says it erases" index.dat files" but there is no catagory in the program with that title. I have read that index.dat files can severely compromise security if left on your computer per Kim Komando-Digital Godess.(2) what is meant by "clipboard" catagory and is it ok to erase everything in clipboard? (3) what is "user defined folders(checked)" mean, and is it ok to erase everything in that catagory? Thank you for any correct information you can give me.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hi, Sev8910 -

While I cannot claim to be 'very knowledgeable' as regards this particular program, I do have it and it appears to be fairly straightforward.

If you select an item under the Internet Explorer section of the Items To Clear tab, let's say Cookies, when you hit the Clear Selected Items button, not only will 3S clear the cookies but it will delete the relevant index.dat file as well. And, yes, several of the internet-related index.dat files can be considered a very real risk; it's a good thing to clear them out every now and again.

As for the 'clipboard' category, yes, it is safe to clear this.

User-defined folders: will only matter if you've defined a folder to be wiped, of course. If you've chosen one to wipe, you've got to figure it's safe to delete, right?!

The only question I've really got about using 3S is how 'secure' it's deletion process is. If it's a simple deletion process, rather than one using an 'overwrite then delete' method, then it's not very secure; casual snoops may not be able to recover the deleted data, but more dedicated types with specialized forensic soft- and hardware can. For truly secure deletion, there are two programs I can recommend: Clean Disk Security by Kevin Solway (http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/) and Evidence Destructor by EmailArms (http://www.emailarms.com/). These are both timed demos, so you can try before you buy.

Hope this helps.

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Hi Sev8910. I did a little test on this program last year and found that it just dletes the stuff it says it deletes. I have found that I was able to use a free disk restore program and was able to get my cookies back. Grant it this was on windows98 and the program I used to get the stuff back don't do well on xp. Anyway to sum it up I used the new version of S3 at that time. I'm not sure if they have fixed the program to erase the stuff or not but I wouldn't bank on it. HTH

4. dangitall

Well, that answers my question about this program, Notageek! Simple deletion, not secure. It's probably okay for run-of-the-mill use but, for anything truly 'sensitive', one would have to look elsewhere.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Off topic:

I wished it had another name :rolleyes:

There is also a program called "SystemSuite" from VCOM (formerly it was from Ontrack).

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Dangitall. Eraser 5.7 Heidi Computers LTD is a good program. You can wipe files and what not safely from your computer. When I tested it on windows 98 it seemed to work great on wiping files that can't be recovered. You just have to set it up to erase the files and stuff you want it to erase. Here's the link http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    They have a forum where you can ask questions and get help.

Fanj System Security Suite goes by the name 3S most of the time. But they should change their name. ;)

7. dangitall

Thanks for the info regarding Eraser by Heidi, Notageek, but I went with Solway's CleanDiskSecurity. Between that and his DiskInvestigator, I know that when I erase something, it's GONE!

8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dangitall

There is also CryptoSuite which will do the erasing you want and much much, plus it as a forum here at Wilder's.

DCS CryptoSuite Infomation:-
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/cryptosuite/

TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.