System Safety Monitor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandon, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Hi,

I am interested in trying out System Safety Monitor 2.0 but I am wondering if it would fit in my setup here.

A question I have is, will SSM overlap any of them? which ones? and what would be the pro's and con's of me trying SSM out?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Re: System Saftey Monitor

You have to test it on your system.

IME, SSM has been greatly improved of late and has proved very stable so far on my system. It's cheap and the fee is a one-off payment. Further, it has a competitive upgrade offer at present where you can obtain a 50% discount. I swapped from a "buggy" SafeNSec to SSM for $12!!

BUT overall with your present system I doubt whether you would need a further layer of protection. I would consider SSM only if you were not very happy with the testing of the OA+AV.

Looking at your present real-time setup, do you really need ALL of these programs running, particularly when most of them are betas!!!!!!. Try disabling a few and see whether your system becomes more responsive. I am running only an AV, FW and SSM and feel well protected!

3. egghead

egghead Registered Member

"I am running only an AV, FW and SSM and feel well protected!"[/QUOTE]

Same here, plus I use firefox with NoScript extension. Not only do I feel well protected, I am well protected: with this security setup I am never been hit by a virus nor other malware.

SSM is the best HIPS app currently on the market. I'm running it for almost 3 months now on my bitburner and it not only works flawlessly but also extremely effective. Very good customer support also.The price is a steal. :thumb: :D :D :D

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I can also confim that support has been first-rate so far.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can't confirm on support cause I haven't needed it. Only issue I had was I couldn't register my license on site. Didn't get around to contacting them, but they fixed it without asking. Also have already receive new license for upcoming version. So far all has been excellent.

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

They have been very responsive to reported bugs and conflicts and have been very open to suggested improvements. Some were fixed the same day they were reported. Regarding your present setup, Online Armor and SSM do overlap some.
    Once you have SSM configured, you won't need to have any resident anti-spyware or anti-trojan apps. Those would be a duplication of protection.
    My setup is similar to some of the others listed here. AV, firewall, SSM, with Mozilla and Proxomitron instead of FF and NoScript. SSM has worked so well, I rarely use the resident AV, prefering to manually scan e-mail and file transfers. It's easily worth twice the price they're asking. Besides that, how many security apps give a full 60 day trial period?
    Rick

7. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Thank you all for your opinions :)

I have decided to tryout SSM but I have also changed my setup along with it ;) (check the security setup thread for my new setup)

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I get the feeling that SSM is a polling monitor. I tried it, & noticed that it was several seconds before SSM noticed a process which I had set it to block. By the time SSO noticed it, that process already was running.

Did I misconstrue, or is SSM polling instead of hooking?

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

SSM uses hooking except on the services module. They're working on that one.
    That's suprising to hear. Anytime I try to launch a process that isn't permitted by rule, I get an "Access Denied" message. There are a few issues with .com executables and 16 bit processes. The only other time I've seen that behavior is if the process is already running before SSM is started or SSM is in learning mode.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.