System Safety Monitor,Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dieselman, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I am currently using Online Armor Beta 81 and liking it. I am testing it out for Mike and seeing how gaming is. 90% of my problems with OA are gone. It scanned most of my 200 apps in the set that way I did not have hundreds of pop ups. OA has great HIPS protection but I was wondering if Sanboxie or SSM along side would be good or overkill. Which one is lighter and will not slow your browsing down? I don't care much for TF.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

SSM is also a HIPS and thus would be overkill. Sandboxie would be ok though.

When I tried Sandboxie it did not slowdown my browsing.

3. Dieselman

Ok I will try Sandbox. I tried Safe Space and it slows my pc down like mad and FF took like a minute to open up.

4. Dieselman

Returnil Virtual System actually looks good.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Dieselman,

When gaming Antivir free with only the check set at writes is a real good addition to Online Armor (you can block the nag screen with OA). Does not slow down reading of files or execution of programs.

For gamers looking for cracks, and relasing hidden feautures/using bug of games a partition virtualisation program works well (Returnil or PowerShadow).

You can also use the run safer option of OA for your browser. This will reduce risk a lot also.

What a good addition to OA is a program like Drive Sentry. Has a lot of Hey Key Current User Registry Protection Items by default and protects your files. This will provide you with the programs/FW view and the data/view

Have you ever tried Opera with FF skin? Set Historie to use Ram and your browsing speed increases surprisingly.

6. Dieselman

I use NOD32 and now I am uisng Online Armor beta 85 with Firefox and Internet Explorer running in the "run safer" option. I tried Sandboxie but I don't care much for the extra processes just to surf.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Dieselman, Would you by chance name these extra processes for us that drive your decision not to chance using SandboxIE?

Just curious

Thanks EASTER

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Normally there is control.exe and sbiesvc.exe iirc, then when you run a program in sandboxie, there are two more processes: sandboxiedcomlaunch.exe and sandboxierpcss.exe

9. Dieselman

WSFuser said it all. 4 new processes just to browse the internet. I might try it again but using OA in the run safer mode it good.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The system impact is negligible. I'll go out on a limb and say those four processes can not be used as a valid reason for not running Sandboxie :)

11. Dieselman

So what your saying is dont surf without FF or IE Sandboxed ?

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would agree with that. I don't.

Pete

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

All I would say is you could surf without it, running other security apps instead and/or a restricted account but my brief revisit with Sandboxie, testing it rather thoroughly on vicious sites has convinced me there is no reason not to surf without it, though I still use a firewall and HIPS without conflicts or appreciable slowdowns.

14. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

You could use Opera :D

15. Dieselman

Well I decided Sandboxie isn't for me after a day of using it. I have always used a good firewall and av and not one infection. Sandboxie seems overkill to me and recovering everything you download can be tiresome. I download stuff everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.