System Safety Monitor Beta as outbound firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by roark37, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

The System Safety Monitor beta seems to now include an outbound firewall. This is outbound only. Would this now conflict with an existing firewall that had outbound control so they should not be used together? Is anyone using or has tried the SSM Beta? Does the outbound work well and is it easy to use?

I was also wondering about the regular SSM free edition. Does anyone know if that is easy to uninstall? I wanted to try it but was hesitant as I don't want removal problems if I don't want to keep it.

Thank you.

roark37

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have used this with a few firewalls and not seen any conflicts yet (this is a module,.. so it can be disabled if un-needed). It is just a network access, you have a rule to ask/allow/ or block a programs network access to trusted group of sites(IP`s,..a list you can make), or to untrusted (any)

If you are going to start trying out a few programs, I would suggest that you find yourself a HD backup program,.. I have not had any problems with un-installing any version of SSM,.. but I suppose it could happen.

3. roark37

Thanks Stem.

roark37

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was able to uninstall free edition without problems many times, though every system is different so be careful in any case.
    Not tried beta yet.
    BTW, u have any idea how long this beta can be used.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Or an instant recovery software like FDISr, RollBackRx, I must say.

6. roark37

Thanks Aigle for your reply. I'm not sure how long the beta version of SSM is good for.

Although its a little off topic I am a little surprised that there are not more(or any really that I know of) outbound only firewalls. It seems to me that there are probably a lot of users now that between having a router and maybe using the XP firewall as well are reasonably secure on the in bound side but still would want outbound application control. This SSM beta and maybe Appdefend are the only products I know of that seem to be in this area but they also offer additional features. I would think there would be a market for a good, light outbound only firewall.

roark37

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

30 days from installation (or use license key)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.