System Safety Monitor - 40% price rise soon

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Paranoid2000, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Just a notice for anyone considering System Safety Monitor that the price will increase by 40% from the 1st August, so purchasing before then may be a good idea (currently US$24.95 per licence for 1-4 copies).

Also a "Home Site" licence option will be available with version 2.2 onwards according to this thread - home users purchasing 2 or more licences now should be given a free upgrade to it.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Price increase? First I just could not believe what I have seen, then I realized this is not a virtual state, it is for real. SSM has extented warm arms for viewers to use a downgraded version for free, and now turned around trying to extract extra $$$ from future clients for using paid version. THIS does not make a sense. And you do not have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. I do smell some thing fishy here. Their current promotional price is very much in line with its rivals. But after reverting to original state, you may have to ask yourself a hard question: Can I do my daily routine w/o SSM's service? BTW;SSM is a good app to a certain extent. Beyond that, a big o_O.

3. f3x

f3x Registered Member

maybee they have plan to double the workforce ...that would explain double the price ;)

Or they plan to make *rebaet* once in a while wich just mean the return to normal price. But generally, they wait until a new version comes out or the final of a beta comes out before doing such price rise.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you saying they are increasing 40% above the 24.95 or just going back to 24.95 from the competitive upgrade offer which has been about 12.47

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

They will increase prices on top of the initial promotional price of USD24.95 so that single user license will cost $34.95 and family license will cost $49.95 commencing 1 Aug 2006.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you read the thread linked to, the price mentioned from 1st August onwards is $34.95 and $49.95 for a "home site" licence.

The introductory price of $24.95 compares pretty well with competition like Process Guard ($24.95), Online Armor ($39.95) or App+RegDefend (2x$29.95) and the increased price isn't that far out of line either when you consider SSM's capabilities, the aggressive development schedule and the features proposed for 2.2.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Like other software, such as Ewido, they have simply made a "special offer price" to attract new users thereby trying to build up a customer base. Nothing new there. It had a very competitive upgrade offer where you could obtain a 50% discount. So I swapped from a "buggy" SafeNSec to a rock solid SSM for $12!!
    IMO, the current price is still very attractive, particularly with the level of support offered and there have been a number of significant improvements in a very short time. Personally, I now consider SSM a very important program in my layered defense system.

But most average users may find most of these HIPS programs beyond them, particularly as IME, most of them have difficulty in keeping their AV up to-date! However, for other more experienced potential users, the free version will probably suffice.

8. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up Paranoid2000.

But would you guys say the latest version of SSM is now as good as or better than programs like ProcessGuard, AppDefend and Prevx1? Even though I realize there are some differences. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Not at all. Nothing has been "downgraded". The free version is the same as all the 2.0 versions in regards to features and protection. I've been a tester for them thru all the 2.x releases. Nothing has been removed. In fact, it's better than it was. The 2.1 versions represent an upgrade when compared to earlier releases. Because of the redesign, the 2.1 versions won't run on the older DOS based systems whereas the 2.0 versions work on systems from 98 to XP. While the free versions isn't quite as strong as the paid version, it's by no means been weakened. Even with the increase, it's a good price.
    Rick

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like SSM a lot, but I got BSODs every few days running the free versions, so it's no go for me. Shame since it offers a lot otherwise...

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: free version of SSM is an out-styled merchadise filled with some bugs which are already fixed in paid version. Its freebie is entirely different from free version of other apps. The latter is a waterdowned updated version lacking whistles and bells, whereas SSM freeware is a yesterday's goods with outdated data. Users use it at your own risks. Hope I get this right.:doubt:

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I consider that the soon-to-be price of $34.95 is quite reasonable for a program that does so much, and does it so well. I just bought it at $24.95. Too bad I didn't do so when Blackcat did -- I would have saved even more.

Their support forum is fast, friendly, effective.

Have they announced (as yet) the price for renewal? (It's a year away but I'm curious).

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes and no. Basically early versions supported the win9x operating system. When they could no longer do that they made the last version that did the free one. I guess in that sense you could say it's yesterdays goods, but you are also in essence saying that about win98...

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

There will be a 50% discount for upgrade to 3.X from 2.X.

Take a look of this one:
    https://syssafety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360

15. herbalist

herbalist Guest

They have released updated versions for the free edition 3 times since they released the paid version. The present free version was updated 8 days ago, which is the longest time period between new releases since the paid version came out. Show me a similar program that updates and fixes bugs that fast and often. Your information is completely flawed and misleading.

16. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

SSM is a fantastic product even with 40% price increase. Using the free version of SSM could be fine if one already has some other form of advanced Registry/Processes/Keylogger monitoring.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Ha, a freeware is free to use, I should not ask more than just that. But my puzzle is still centered at what is the critical difference between them. I search News Achieve on SSM web site and found these: Paid version continues evolving on frame v.2.1 whereas freeware keeps going on base v.2.0. AND the freeware is based on SSM 2.0.8 code base whereas paid version is unknown(assuming on 2.1.0?). Therefore my question is very simple. Does code base 2.0.8 w/updates provide the same level of protection as code 2.1.0/w/updates does? If this silly question can be solved, then my decision of whether to purchase paid version shall be greatly simplified.

18. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Some of the differences are listed on the product comparison page.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: thank you for the info. So, there are some sort of difference in features and protection between these two!

20. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Also note that the competitive upgrade offer will last until 31 Aug 06:
    See this thread

21. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Yes, 2.1 is the pay version. The code required for the more advanced registry and services protection won't run on the 9X systems. They chose to maintain the 2.0 versions and support 98/ME with it instead of conforming to Microsofts policy of planned obsolescense.
    Take a look at these screenshots on their site. I can't verify the services screenshot as I run 98. The process monitor screen is different on mine, but that may be due to my 98 OS as well. The rest look like the ones on the free version, including the registry and advanced process interfaces. Pretty comprehensive for what they're calling "basic".
    Don't let the "low development priority" for the free version worry you. They are incredibly fast about fixing bugs and implementing user suggested improvements. Last month, I posted a request on their forum for a hotkey option, a low priority item. 5 days later, the next free version had the requested option. http://syssafety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262
    How can you beat that kind of responsiveness?
    I'm sorry if I sound like a salesman here, but I am seriously impressed with their product and service. I use freeware exclusively for everything. Since I was a beta tester throughout the development of 2.0, I was given a free license for SSM. Even if they hadn't given me a free license, I would have gladly bought SSM. It's worth it at either price.
    Rick

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Thanks for the constructive inputs. All the clouds surrounding SSM have been therefore cleared up.

23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I think the after sales support and the prompt response justified for the pricing, at least they give you a response no matter they agree or disagree with you, or no matter they can help or not.

These few days, I raised a couple of questions in the forum and they are answered within 2 hours. When I have made up my mind to buy SSM using the competitive upgrade option and send in my details, I got a reply within 20 minutes with the discount coupon. I just thought that they would take some days to verify my details and respond.

SSM is not a simple application that can make you an expert in using SSM within hours. When you need help in using the program, you can always raise your question in the forum and get helped by their technical support staff within a reasonable time. This is the value for money support that they can offer at that price.

24. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

When does the price go up?

25. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

1 August 2006

Announcement on http://syssafety.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.