System Safety Monitor 2.4.0.620 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wat0114, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

System Safety Monitor, version 2.4.0.620 beta - 12/01/2008

What's new:

• Added WinXP SP3 RC support;
    • Added SSM protection against "fake logoff/shutdown" attacks (system shutdown simulator leak test).
    • Known issue:
      fast User Switching is not supported on Windows Vista.

release notes

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  2. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Thanks for the update. :) :thumb:

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No troubles :)

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I always admired this app from it's onset and was one of it's chief beta testers that helped get it out the door along with many others, but it fell out of favor not because of issue or neglect, but i'm one of those who tend to lean more to a more modern look like EQS shows in it's GUI. That's probably not a very good excuse i know, but if they would take some pointers from their GUI and sharpen it's looks to a more 21st Century look, i wouldn't hesitate to rocket myself right back to it again. Plus it does have some very useful hooking techniques EQS is sorely lacking unfortunately.

You might say i'm torn betwen the two for some of those reasons that i expect from a 21st century app. You certainly cannot go wrong with it, it's as formidable as they come, but when they changed the REGISTRY MODULE setting screen, that alone drove me away. I just don't care to learn a HIPS all over again and with the checkmarks and slashes they added to the REGISTRY MODULE, it set me back to when it first came out.

But i hope everyone who is benefited from it's great protections will find every new improement they add to their liking AND understanding.

I miss it dearly, but i'm a futuristic inclined type that expects the best from the best.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Updated SSM is running light, fast, & stable. VERY much alive & kicking! :thumb:

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In spite of my transition theres no dismissing SSM, i still keep it on several snapshots and it's as effective as always. I like to think SSM pioneered the very first TRUE complete HIPS, so they not only have a lot riding on it's continuing with improvements, but it's dead on to it's claims and is not disappointed me in the least once in it's capabilities.

I just wish they would change the whole GUI into something more 21st Century since they are the ones who blasted first on the scene with what i call the first AV replacement security app. Since SSM, i never considered going back to an AV again although i do keep one On-Demand Only for research purposes.

Keep up the good work i say. Excellent HIPS. Formidable and stable as a rock.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Don't be so irresponsible.

8. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Not irresponsible but self contradicting.. Moving to a new hips is learning all over again..... if the product provides better protection and you miss it .... why stay with a poor subistute. Move back

I started with SSM/Process Guard then App/Reg defend then SNS then SSM then PS. I have dabbled with others Comodo .... I also use Prevx.

But I choose apps for protection as long as the GUI is usable .... I prefer nice GUIs but it is about protection .... not window dressing

9. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

LOL, build a better mousetrap, then hear that the color doesn't match the paint samples from the interior decorator! :)

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Hello,

Discovered a bug when running version 2.4.0.620 with Vista Home premium.

After reporting this bug it was fixed within a couple of hours (resulting in R2)!!!!! :cool:

Better prove that SSM is alive does not exist ! :D

Great to see that this superb program is growing more powerful with every version.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All well said and done, but theres also nothing wrong with having the best of BOTH worlds either.

This point is made too many times before, just because it's GUI is old style doesn't deter it from being super effective, thats a no brainer.

So it's pointless to argue between the two, but there is something very much to be said for those HIPS that have BOTH!

12. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

I have used SSM and was quite pleased by its performance, but with my limited exposure to HIPS, I was unable to find its equal in that regard.
    Thankfully you have more experience than I do, so I eagerly await your recommendation as to which HIPS has BOTH!

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is strickly a SYSTEM SAFETY MONITOR update topic so out of courtesy and respect to keeping in line as Mods expect, i'll reserve mention of any other HIPS, especially my new favorite, for another thread. But most of you already know what that is if you read siggys and run across some of my raves. :D

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I am glad SSM shows signs of life

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too!

16. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I am thankful for the SSM protection against "fake logoff/shutdown" attacks.

I was having that attack problem and the SSM upgrade apparently is now preventing it!

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U mean u faced some real malware using this technique?

18. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Initially before upgrading to XP SP3, I removed Jetico, SSM and disconnected from internet using an Alpha Shield feature.

After the XP SP3 upgrade and reinstalling everything, RUN32.dll was trying to do things that I had not seen before. Additionally the XP SP3 upgrade did not give some opening screens that it was suppose to.

I re-imaged the hard drive and subsequently upgraded SSM to 2.4.620. Then I upgraded to XP SP3. Next I reinstalled Jetico.

I got the XP SP3 opening screens that I was suppose to see and RUN32.dll is not acting funny anymore.

Did the SSM upgrade prevent an infection?- I don't know 100%

19. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I didn't know SP3 was out. Anyone have a download link?

20. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'd wait until it's a final release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.