System Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phasechange, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Do you turn off System Restore? I have always left it on for my boot drive only. Will ATI backup all the restore data? Can I exclude it?

Thanks,
    Fairy

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Fairy,

TI will restore everything that System Restore does and more. So, in theory, one could disable System Restore, but I didn't. I reduced the space dedicated to SR to the minimal 200 MB and I usually have three restore points available there. Just in case I get caught without a recent TI image and also to humor my registry cleaning program that insists to create a restore point within System Restore before proceeding.

TI does not backup/restore the contents of the pagefile and of the hybernation file. It also does not restore the partition table but it creates a new one, according to the partitioning layout found on the destination disk upon restoration. It does however backup/restore the System Restore native backup file and that's why reducing it's size makes sense.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I also keep my System Restore area limited to about 200MB. If you set don't set a limit you will find your images growing to about 12% of your partition which these days can be large.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I used to do exactly as you do. However I found that when updating Windows and other Microsoft products combined with some other installs the minimum of 200MB was not enough. So I have increased the space to 1% of the drive to give several more restore points. I trim these back to just the latest restore point,where appropriate, when doing a routine disk clean up.

Xpilot.

5. phasechange

I've set ATI up (as of last night) to do an incremental backup of my boot drive when I shutdown (but only once a day). I've turned off system restore as with this setup there should be no need.

Thanks,
    Fairy

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

whenever I install a new system the first thing to go is system restore. Making a TI system image takes 5 to 10 minutes at most and unlike MS restore it works every time.

7. phasechange

my system drive image takes about an hour and a half for a full but the increments take about 2 mins. So I've decided to brave life without SR. I must confess SR has been very useful in the pre-ATI days for me.

Fairy

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think the 12% default was set up when Hdrives tended tob emuch smaller than today. On larger drives, it's way more restores than most folks really need, imo. It's a judgement one has to make for oneself.

Some times System Restore is a faster way than doing an image restore to undo some driver update that's screwedup your computer.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree and sometimes I don't bother making an absolutely current image, after all, "what could go wrong with an update?".:D

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use FirstDefense-ISR to restore my system.
    windows System Restore works only when you are in Windows.
    FirstDefense-ISR restores your system even outside windows and does it much faster than ATI.
    In most cases it requires only a reboot to recover your system with FDISR.

ATI and FDISR are a very good team to restore your computer fast in the worst disaster scenarios.
    I disabled Windows System Restore from the beginning and replace it with FDISR.

FDISR saved me alot more than ATI, but I will never ditch ATI, because when FDISR itself fails, ATI will save me in the worst scenarios.
    ATI is a MUST, while FDISR is LUXURY.

11. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I've tested Windows Restore, and found that if don't uninstall a program, and remove files and folders BEFORE you run the WR, ...then you'll have these "ghost" files and folders on the Hard Drive afterwords. I didn't like that, so the Windows Restore is the very first thing that I turn OFF when reinstalling XP. The next thing to go is...."Allow Windows Indexing" on the C:/ Drive. I think these 2 (Windows Restore, and Indexing) will "Lag" the system down.
    ATI completely smokes the Windows Restore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.