System Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phasechange, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Do you turn off System Restore? I have always left it on for my boot drive only. Will ATI backup all the restore data? Can I exclude it?

Thanks,
    Fairy

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Fairy,

TI will restore everything that System Restore does and more. So, in theory, one could disable System Restore, but I didn't. I reduced the space dedicated to SR to the minimal 200 MB and I usually have three restore points available there. Just in case I get caught without a recent TI image and also to humor my registry cleaning program that insists to create a restore point within System Restore before proceeding.

TI does not backup/restore the contents of the pagefile and of the hybernation file. It also does not restore the partition table but it creates a new one, according to the partitioning layout found on the destination disk upon restoration. It does however backup/restore the System Restore native backup file and that's why reducing it's size makes sense.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I also keep my System Restore area limited to about 200MB. If you set don't set a limit you will find your images growing to about 12% of your partition which these days can be large.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I used to do exactly as you do. However I found that when updating Windows and other Microsoft products combined with some other installs the minimum of 200MB was not enough. So I have increased the space to 1% of the drive to give several more restore points. I trim these back to just the latest restore point,where appropriate, when doing a routine disk clean up.

Xpilot.

5. phasechange

I've set ATI up (as of last night) to do an incremental backup of my boot drive when I shutdown (but only once a day). I've turned off system restore as with this setup there should be no need.

Thanks,
    Fairy

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

whenever I install a new system the first thing to go is system restore. Making a TI system image takes 5 to 10 minutes at most and unlike MS restore it works every time.

7. phasechange

my system drive image takes about an hour and a half for a full but the increments take about 2 mins. So I've decided to brave life without SR. I must confess SR has been very useful in the pre-ATI days for me.

Fairy

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think the 12% default was set up when Hdrives tended tob emuch smaller than today. On larger drives, it's way more restores than most folks really need, imo. It's a judgement one has to make for oneself.

Some times System Restore is a faster way than doing an image restore to undo some driver update that's screwedup your computer.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree and sometimes I don't bother making an absolutely current image, after all, "what could go wrong with an update?".:D

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use FirstDefense-ISR to restore my system.
    windows System Restore works only when you are in Windows.
    FirstDefense-ISR restores your system even outside windows and does it much faster than ATI.
    In most cases it requires only a reboot to recover your system with FDISR.

ATI and FDISR are a very good team to restore your computer fast in the worst disaster scenarios.
    I disabled Windows System Restore from the beginning and replace it with FDISR.

FDISR saved me alot more than ATI, but I will never ditch ATI, because when FDISR itself fails, ATI will save me in the worst scenarios.
    ATI is a MUST, while FDISR is LUXURY.

11. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I've tested Windows Restore, and found that if don't uninstall a program, and remove files and folders BEFORE you run the WR, ...then you'll have these "ghost" files and folders on the Hard Drive afterwords. I didn't like that, so the Windows Restore is the very first thing that I turn OFF when reinstalling XP. The next thing to go is...."Allow Windows Indexing" on the C:/ Drive. I think these 2 (Windows Restore, and Indexing) will "Lag" the system down.
    ATI completely smokes the Windows Restore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.