system restore (win 7) failed

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by chrome_sturmen, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

just for an experiment, I created a restore point - then I created a new notepad document and dropped it into the c: drive. I then uninstalled my firewall, then my browser. next, I opened system restore and chose to restore to the point I'd created just before doing these things. Windows restarted, went through the restore process, reboot and got a success message "windows has restored properly" or some such. so I open my firewall, and it's just a blank window, I open my browser and it says cannot start, corrupted. I checked the c: drive, and the notepad doc was still there lol.. indeed windows did not restore properly.

I've read decent things about this feature so I'm somewhat surprised, anyone have any thoughts? No, I don't have any security or a/v running.
    thanks *puppy*

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

System restore just looks after windows.
    The rest like your browser are ignored and so not backed up

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

ah, I see now then - thanks for the reply. I guess it could be used as an additional layer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.