System Restore, Is it really needed?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by minacross, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I'm running WinXP Pro and I always find viruses in the ..\System Volume Information\ folder that my AV cant handle (avast4).
    Is there any hard in turning off this feature? Do I really need it?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You only need it if you have a problem and want to recover without using other, more complicated measures.

If your AV is flagging content in the restore points, it can obviously deal with them at some level. Having them sit there is not an issue until you need to restore. If they happen to be old restore points, you can obviously flush them away as desired by a couple of different approaches.

Blue

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No, if you dont roll back to a previous configurations of Windows you dont need it. It´s just a waste of space imo.
    If you have a habit of doing rollbacks because of installation gone bad or something like that there are far more better third party software that does the job better, like FDISR or Rollback Rx.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Do you have some reliable backup method (such as Imaging) that you use and stay up to date with? If so, then no, you don't really need System Restore. I have 90 restore points (the maximum) and I also use Acronis True Image, but I find System Restore much faster, much easier to use than TI. I wouldn't dream of turning off System Restore but then I don't get viruses in it or on my computer.

You can simply turn off System Restore if it contains viruses and then turn it back on. Doing this will wipe out all the current restore points and wipe the viruses also. Then you can start using System Restore as though it was brand new again but you won't have the past restore points.

If I were you, I would try and figure out what behavior of mine is causing all those viruses to get on the computer and I would change that behavior.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You must be Mr. Moneybags. Why would you suggest someone BUY third party software when Microsoft's FREE System Restore works just fine? I use it all the time. Acronis TI doesn't work right and Acronis told me I had to spend another $40 on the latest version. They claim the version I have won't work on XP Pro SP2 only on SP1. Well, I think they just don't want to help me because others have it working (version 8 ) on SP2. Same with all paid products. Free is better.

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I think it's invaluable, I delete them as I go but always have one saved where they system has no AV , just default programs I have at that point. Restore points were a good add on & invaluable to me IMO you should just watch & delete them as you go . For killing HD space with the size of HD is this really an issue? I mean I have 80 gig small by comparison on the last laptop & never got past 25 megs. Now if you storing photos that's another thing but I would think you want them saved on a dvd...

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

can be useful sometimes,clean up all your renamed files and folders if you do use it

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

System Restore is incomplete. If I install program xyz and then want it gone, completely gone, system restore can't handle that. So I use FDISR. Also in testing I've had crashes where I couldn't even get as far as the option to go to safe mode, and I question whether System restore would have helped. FDISR did the trick.

Also I use Shadow Protect for imaging as I have found it quite reliable.

Are these programs worth the money? To me a resounding yes.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Peter is right; system restore is incomplete. IMO. it can remove registry changes, driver installation, but is powerless in dealing with installation files and its like, those files will remain intact. If you do not wish to spend extra $$$ for a third party recovery app, then window's built-in system restore is an economic, somewhat effective mechanism, I often term it as a poor man's FD-ISR. You can adjust its size according to your actual needs. I trust it and I use it, although I have others, such as DeepFreeze and VCOM system suite's recovery commander. Take care.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

agree, however.. i use rollbackrx pro.

i turn off system restore, as i find it useless and a waste of my resources.

11. minacross

minacross Registered Member

So, any "free" replacements for SR? o_O

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I turned off system restore; it provided no additional value to me in my usage.

13. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

agreed but the registry changes it performs can sometimes make an unstable system stable enough to work on

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  14. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i have win xp pro sp2
    i disable system restore

i dont have any problem

15. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Agree that System Restore provides minimal protection.

Think that it is necessary to have it on to use Recovery Console on Boot-Up.

Move its 'Slider' to the far left (in System) to minimize disk space occupied.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

Melo20,
    Try this step and let me know if Microsoft FREE System Restore will work.

- Save you initial setting in System Restore
    - Try to install any new software
    - Then restore to your initial setting (without the new software install)

Now, you can see some remnants of uninstall new software in your Program Files.

17. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Problem is, it goes back to max setting when new restore point is created...

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

try returnil is free and does a really good job

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just be aware Returnil, isn't the same thing. You can't install anything that needs a reboot.

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

yes you can, you just have to turn it off

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

It's old and probably no one uses it any more, but I love my GoBack. I disabled System Restore and rely on GoBack. I have the old Roxio version and the Norton version. I'm using the Norton version. GoBack has saved my butt many, many times. It's simple to use also. If you don't want to spend the money on a third party software, then I would keep System Restore active. You never know when you might need it.

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

It can be useful. I have used it successfully on several occasions to save system from a more intensive re image process. :thumb:

If you catch a malware you need to turn it off, clean and then back on...I would suggest this anyways. Note it is my understanding that you will lose your restore points when this is done. But once you are clean start with new restore point any way is wise.

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have seen system restore completely wreck a system. Use image backups, it is the safest and most foolproof way to roll back a system.

24. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

thats why i use FD :D

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I get the impression that System Restore is rather "sketchy".... although I have yet to actually use it. I allow it to run anyway, just in case. However, I agree, an image it pretty much foolproof...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.