System restore in Vista not working after true image - Is it Quicken?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by steve229, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve229

steve229 Registered Member

My friend has Vista and True image 11, after receiving his new computer he partitioned his drive in two using my disk director. Every time he installs quicken on his computer in which he has a game to do so because it is a old program, system restore stops working and he cannot even start up system restore again. What is so funny is that even if he does a true image to restore his c drive to a earlier time to when he hadn't installed quicken, system restore still does not work.

How could this be when True image restores his drive clustor by cluster?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It appears that ATI 11 current build, disrupts Sytem Restore. It also appears that this mihgt be happening because, when ATI restores, it disrupts a generic drive entry in the registry.

Try this: Try disabling then re-enabling System Restore. If that doesn't workn't work then try right clicking on My Computer, select Properties, select Hardware, Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Devices, then go down to Storage Volumes and expand that category and right click each entry there an select to update the driver. The retry disabling then re-enabling System Restore.

3. steve229

Thanks shieber, I will tell him what you have said. But what I did not add was if he reinstalls windows from his Vista restore disk supplied with his computer (after system restore stops working) he then can use system restore again.

Forgive me as his is very strange as when he restores his system using TI sytem restore doesn't worko_O TI restores cluster by cluster it is like a fresh install in itself.

Regards

4. shieber

Apparently Vista System Restore uses Shadow Copy to copy sectors containing relevent system files. Since ATI isn't going to put the system files back in exactly the same sectors, System Restore has to start from scratch after the reboot to build a System Restore list and create a Restore Point. Somewhere, in this ATI11 might be mucking things up or, it could be Vista is misbehaving -- either is a safe bet..

5. steve229

thank you for you help shieber,

In the end my friend followed the instructions below to cure the problem

http://support.dell.com/support/top...025DAF&docid=2CBD9B738BB275E9E040A68F5B2844E1

But the reason for it to happen is probably the same.

Just one thing though when you say TI doesn't always put the system files back to the same cluster do you mean windows system files or the hidden files that reside in the partition?

Regards Steve

6. shieber

I mean the system files, they won't be mapped back into the same sectors since there isn't a big need for it. Well, there's that System Restore thing, but if you can do a an ATI restore, then a Windows System Restore isn't quite so important as otherwise. ;-)

7. steve229

I have just thought of something! My friend did choose cluster by cluster when he restored his c drive through TI. So there shouldn't of been an error?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The information about this issue was already forwarded to our Development Team and they're investigating it.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.