System Restore Gone

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by John.K, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John.K

John.K Registered Member

After installing Wormguard, I noticed that I could not access system restore. There is a thread below mine that suggests that the framedyn.dll file may be corrupted. How can I know for sure?

Also, I have noticed that there seems to be some sort of conflict going on between my WG or TDS software and my firewall. (Windows XP SP2). My connection will "die" (traffic stops) after a few minutes, and I have to keep reconnecting to go back online.

Any suggestions? I dont know what this conflict might be.

PS - I had to re-connect just to post this message. :(

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi John. K
    DCS needs to answer this as I to cannot make it work. I believe that it needs an allow in WG but I can't find out which ATM
    If I do I'll report back

EDIT : If you use WG's remove button System restore is again available, so this is at least a quick workaround :)

Thanks. Pilli

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there John, on my one pc XP home SP2 with TDS and WG all installed not any problem, all runs fine, system restore accessable since i ever changed some settings (shared folder).
    Did you reboot after installing WG and /or TDS?
    Did you close all scanners when installing any software?

Is there an option in XP to check the file for being corrupt? I have XP only very recently, in win98se thee was the SFC (system file check) to check files, guess in XP there must bne something equal or something more practicle; i would like to right-click the file and see at least if there is a recent modification, and i hope there would be a choice to put back the original in case it is corrupted. Is that possible in XP?
    As i saw time ago with somebody else's system he got XP warnings about changed files after installing some software and a question to put back originals etc.

EDIT:
    In addition to all this, snipped some from googling around in other people's postings:

Folder: System Volume Information

rightclick for properties > and select share this folder

Make sure all folder and file options are set to visible

The way to take ownership (permissions) of a folder is by using the 'Simple File Sharing' feature. In XP-Pro, you can go to the folder, right-click on it, and find the Security Tab, then click the Advanced button, then select the Owner tab, which then you would change it to Administrator.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=810881

XP-Pro can turn on and off Simple File Sharing, and has that "Security Tab" under Folder View.

Seems in XP home possible too now.

Here's two links that help explain it a bit better:

HOW SYSTEM RESTORE WORKS (with screenie's too!)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/12/XPKernel/default.aspx

Disable Simple File Sharing in XP Home when no Use Simple File Sharing checkbox exists:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21046791.html

This one has a good example of the "CHKDSK LOG FILE" too:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20901905.html

And not a bad idea to look at this security tool too.
    Try this useful tool for XP SafeXP:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4070.html

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  4. John.K

John.K Registered Member

Unfortunately, the only thing that seemed to work was uninstalling WG. I still have TDS installed, though -- Proud liscencee of the software, I may add! :)

Anyway, everything seems to be okay so far. Wish me luck. I am hoping my Internet connection problems will go away.

PS - I have read about a Layered Service Provider conflict. Could this have something to do with my problems with WG and my Internet connections?

5. Open Source

Open Source Registered Member

Wow first time i have heard of this type of problem.

I'm on windows Xp Home edition sp1,sp2 and sp3 no problem's here at all.

I hope there is a patch for this problem.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    I don't think WormGuard has anything to do with these issues.
    Think more a setting in your firewall, allowing something, whatever.
    I have a router with NAT and win xp home sp2 and also the own XP firewall is active and all DiamondCS tools installed and no problems like you described.
    But i did make sue all programs except Windows itself were closed when installing them one by one and i rebooted after that.
    I used the order of first TDS, then Port Explorer then WormGuard then another firewall and then other software.
    And iworth looking in the XP firewall settings what is allowed and what not etc.
    If WG is configured to show the four options, you would be able to see which process is blocked unless you allow it in WG, so you can put that in the allowed always list, for example.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I get the same problem on my XP Pro SP2 PC so John K's problem is not unique and it is completely repeatable.

I am not sure what is causing it but have a feeling it is to do with MS scripting.
    With H & S centre open pressing the System Restore button, a momentary WG3 alert is shown then the Help & Support Centre freezes, I have to use Task Manager to kill it.

The simple workaround is to use the WG3 "Remove" button and close the WG3 GUI System Restore then works as it should. After creating or using a restore point simply press the WG3 "Install" button and protection is re-enabled.

I have asked DCS to take a quick look at the problem when they get the time.

Development of Process Guard and TDS4 is more important IMHO :)

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.