System Restore Explorer (fantastic app!!!!)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pandlouk, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

System restore as you all now is much much better in Vista and 7 than it was in XP.

But how many off you haven't wished to be able to delete only some of the recovery points and not all of them? (...at least, I have many times; and this is the reason that I played a lot with RollbackRX and similar products).

Well, now you can... and not only that; you can actually mount the recovery points and to compare their content. :D

Just download this amazing app made by Nic Bedford :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    http://nicbedford.co.uk/systemrestoreexplorer/
    http://nicbedford.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mount.png
    http://nicbedford.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mountpoint.png

Panagiotis

2. Logos

Logos Registered Member

nice find but without actually "mounting" anything, you can already preview, copy, paste, compare whatever you want with "previous versions" in Vista and Seven (available for drives/folders/files). Should be restricted to Ultimate, not sure...
    With CCleaner you can delete restore points individually... from the Windows interface you can delete restore points by drive, from disk cleanup you can delete all but the latest restore point... yeah :D

3. pandlouk

I know all that, but I needed a program to do exactly what System Restore Explorer does and I am not a big fan of cleaner apps. ;)

Panagiotis

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

On xp, system restore is basically a hit or miss situation,hence the need for a replacement,i found it in imaging and never looked back.

5. pandlouk

On XP it never worked right for me.

And in 7 I hate to restore an image often because it seems like an eternity compered to the time of restoring an xp image. :p

Panagiotis

6. Logos

Logos Registered Member

true it takes much longer in Vista/Seven compared to XP. But the restore points in Vista/Seven are also much bigger ;) (although a bit reduced in Seven compared to Vista)

edit: I'm talking about the minimum restore point size in Vista for the Windows partition that use to be minimum 300 MB. Not that strict on Seven.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I assume that Pandlouk mean to restore a complete image of the system part.
    with the native imaging module of windows 7.
    Thirth party imaging perhaps ?

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Here's another interesting app that leverages System restore - Time Traveler:

http://www.bearsontheloose.com

680_TimeTravelerAtPriorPointInTime.jpg

It wouldn't work on my system, however.

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

This program tries to connect out to 195.242.99.215 when you start it up. There's no option to block any update check either (assuming that's what it is).

10. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Sounds like a very nice program, too bad it won't work on your system. Do you have any idea why? Also, what system is it that you are using that it won't work on?

Anyone have any experience with it?

11. KoalaBear

KoalaBear Registered Member

Hello Espresso,

I am the developer of TimeTraveler. It works on Vista and 7 but not on XP. If your system is either Vista or 7, it would be nice if you could tell me what does not work. Errors are logged in the Windows Event Viewer under Applications by TimeTraveler and TimeInformationService sources. You can send me these errors and/or any other useful information at support at bearsontheloose dot com. I will be releasing TimeTraveler 1.4 soon and I would like to make it work for you.

Thanks.

12. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

You mean there is now a good reason to upgrade from XP to 7? Just kidding.

Sounds like a real nice program, one I would like very much to be able to use,,,,,,but I would have to upgrade from XP which I really am in no rush to do. Eventually though it will have to happen and then I will be taking a close look at TimeTraveler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.