System restoration and Windows Update

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by vkidv, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

Hello everyone,

When I get a gaming computer I plan to use some restoration software to avoid the general slow down of Windows computers accumulate over time. I've never been able to get to that 'fresh feel' and performance that new operating system installations seem to have. Whether it be fragmentation, temporary files, too many files or icons I don't know. It is never the same. I figure I can get that performance by restoring my PC back to a known state when I am finished with it and avoid using the computer for web surfing or anything besides gaming.

I've had a look at Returnil, Deep Freeze, Smart Shield and ShadowProtect. I want to be able to return to a known state but also stay up-to-date with Windows Updates.

How do users of these solutions solve this? I'm guessing you have to 'unlock' the computer before you can make changes that stick. Is this a pain?

Essentially I want to be able to turn the computer on, play a game that I installed and shut down. There would be no non-game cruft on the machine.

I think virtualization would be too slow unfortunately. I also considered file system images but that seems overkill and it would be time consuming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.