System Resources

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kevvyb2005, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevvyb2005

kevvyb2005 Registered Member

Can anyone give me some guidance here?

When running a scanI am finding that NOD32 is using up huge amounts of memory, taking CPU usage to 100%

ekrn.exe is using in region of 260 - 465 MB memory and egui.exe 195MB.

ekrn.exe is using 60 - 90% of CPU.

Can this be right? I thought ESET has one of the smallest footprints and resource requirements?

Confused.....

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

As this isn't being reported by others, there most likely is something particular to your machine contributing to the issue.

If you would contact support and include a link to this thread as well as the log from a SysInspector scan, http://www.eset.com/esibeta, they should be able to take care of you in short order.

Thank you,
    BFG

3. kevvyb2005

Sysinpector Log generated.

Having had a quick look at the logs critical files there are some hosts files against ipaddress 127.0.0.1 that show as risky and have dodgy sounding names.

Not sure myself what this means exactly.

I am awaiting response from ESET on uploading the log file as website form did not offer to attach files.

I have also done a HijackThis scan and have a logfile but will need some help interpreting it. I have already posted for help with this on the TechGuy forums as I did not see Wilders Security Forums in the list of Hijack this sites. If someone here can help with the Hijack this log might be better to keep the issue all in one place. Please advise.

And thanks in advance.

4. kevvyb2005

Have realised from the log that these 'dodgy' entries are those inserted by an installation of 'Spybot Search & Destroy'.

So that leaves me with the excessive use of system resources when scanning with NOD32 v3.

5. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

ESET did have the smallest footprint in the earlier V2 versions by way of CPU resource hogging.

6. kevvyb2005

so you are implying this no longer the case?

The previous poster implied that no-one else was seeing the same issue as I am getting.

7. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

V2 works on completely different fundamentals as compared to V3 and enjoys the widest possible compatibility with other security tools such as Firewalls, Anti-spywares, Anti-malwares, Anti-malwares, etc. etc. This is the reason why it will always tend to run lighter than V3. However, V3 has come a long way with most conflicts ironed out. It's quite probable that in your particular system, given your environment of security tools it could be vying with some application or the other (for eg SpyBot) that's causing spikes in CPU resources.

8. kevvyb2005

For information, the text of last email to ESET Customer Care re this issue:

Upgrading to release 3.0.642.0 has certainly improved the situation measurably.

When running a scan, ekrn.exe is now using in region of 31 – 35mb of memory (baseline, when not running system scan, 31mb) as opposed to the 260 - 465 MB previously. And memory usage by egui.exe has dropped from 195 to a constant 6.5mb when running a scan (baseline, when not running system scan, 2-4mb).

ekrn.exe is now using between 11 and 75% of CPU (with occasional peaks up to 99%) whilst running a scan, as opposed to the continuous 60 - 90% of CPU previously. This appears to be giving enough clearance to allow other processes to run at the same time without freezing my machine.

Thank you for this fix. I still think however that 2.7 probably had a lesser impact on system resources than even 3.0.642.0. Is this something that may yet be improved still further? This is a key selling point for NOD32 as far as I am concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.