System Partition not found after resize

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by hajowa, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hajowa

hajowa Registered Member

Hi,
    using PM 10 personal edition I tried to enlarge the system partition c:. Everything started to work like written in the manual. Just before finished the pc shut down and tried to restart. Then I got the message that there is no boot system. Restarting with the Rescue cd I saw that the systempartition still has nearly the sam size than before but it shown as unformed and the former partition e: is no c:.
    Itried to boot the pc from Windows xp CD but it didn't work. The same problem with the Rescue discs.
    Would be great if anaybody has an idea what to do!
    Thanks
    Hajowa:mad:

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi hajowa,

What used to be the System partition is now showing as unformatted?

It used to have letter C , but now has no letter?

Please explain what you mean by "the former partition is e"

You have XP installed on the pc , I assume.

You cannot boot the Paragon Rescue disc - is it the Linux/dos based rescue disc?

3. hajowa

hajowa Registered Member

Hi SIW2,

I use XP SP2, C is the system partition with only 600 mb free space (Totally 9,6 GB). Using Partition Manager 10 I wanted to resize it. PM shows me that there were ca. 300 mb before c and 300mb after c. Therefore I tried to enlarge c.
    After this action which did not finish correctly, the pc rebooted , but stopped before starting windows with the "missing operating system". Trying to reboot from the paragon cd the partition manager starts, entering drive backup I can see the partitions. Partion c is recognized but unformed and with * listed,
    the second partition on that drive before using pm named e is no listed as c.
    The rescue cd shows the same but did not to repair it. I don't know if it is the linux version. I made it before starting the process, when the pm asked me to do it.
    Thanks for your support!
    Hajowa

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Try booting the Paragon cd - Select Partition Manager from the first Menu.

From the Partition Manager main window, run the Undelete partition tool. Selecting just ntfs and fat to search for will make it quicker.

If it finds the original partition structure, tick the 3 original partitions ( the ones you had before you started ) and undelete them.

PAR-UNDEL-1-L2009-10-18_160558.jpg

PAR-UNDEL-1-2009-10-18_160701.jpg

PAR-UNDEL-3-2009-10-18_160756.jpg

Don't worry - scanning for deleted partitions does no harm . Recovering the partitions doesn't do anything physically to the disk, or your data. It just rewrites the partition Table.

If you undelete the original structure - it should be exactly as before - you should be able to boot in as if nothing happened.

If Paragon doesn't find the original structure, there is a free tool that might.

It searches slightly differently.

Download it from here:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwhe41.iso

It is an.iso file. You need to burn it to cd as an image with
    an isoburner ( do not format the cd).

If you don't have an isoburner - download the small free one from here:

http://software.lsoft.net/IsoBurner-Setup.exe

Boot the cd you just made -When it asks you to select screen resolution - on your keyboard, make sure NUM LOCK IS ON- type 1, press enter.

The main window will load up - click Disk1 at the top - select Partition Recovery in the left pane - try a Quick scan of the whole disk.

Tick the partitions you want to recover, you need to click Apply for it to actually do it.

Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.