system image failure ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by wolfsspirit, Oct 27, 2013.

1. wolfsspirit

wolfsspirit Registered Member

I made a system drive copy/image , the computer rebooted since it could not start VSS
    It made a copy wich took about 1 hour, then rebooted and started windows.
    after making a image/ backup of my system drive i checked my copy with the recovery option.
    Both first hard disk tracks are available for recovery(mbr copy didnt had problems)

The complex Archive is not flagged and not available.. also cannot check for integrity.
    Size 104.3GB (300GB partition-(system partition)) archive size 3.9GB
    the error message is:

The Wizard could not open the archive file.
    The following error had occured: Can't open/create file

System : windows7 pro 64 bits
    (i could not find a way to see if i am using a 64 bits version of your program or 32 bits)

Further info:
    Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10.1.19.16240 (22.11.12 ) Free
    Component versions:
    hdm.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    biont.dll, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    biont.sys, version 10.1, release 19, build 16240
    Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 14840 (22.11.12 )

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

What wizard do you use (where error about Open create file appears) ?

Please try the following:
    manually remove archive from Archvies database.
    manually add the archive back.
    Then run Check archive integrity wizard.

If it still reports error, the best solution is to create new backup.
    BTW if you have VSS problems, please try to use Recovery Media for creating backups. it works faster than bluescreen mode.

Additionally you can check the archive by restoring single file from it: Run Restore wizard , select single file to restore and perform the operation.

3. wolfsspirit

I fixed my VSS problem.. seems one service was disabled , don't ask me how :).

Right now i am doing the annoying 3-4 hours taking backup from windows , when i am finished i will try your solutions and see if i get it to work right and report back.
    Thanks for your reply

Followup:
    manually removed archive from Archives database.
    manually added the archive back.
    Then ran Check archive integrity wizard.
    Worked well , problem solved ( i hope)
    Still doesn't feel right to me , i hope when the time comes i need to recover , that the program works well.

Again thanks for your help

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. Mech_An

To make sure that archive could be restored any time you need it, it's enough to perform Check archive integrity test and manually restore of 1-2 file from archive.

The reported issue is about wrong entry in archive database. Archive itself appears to be OK.
    Sometimes such supplementary mechanisms as adding archives to database are most painful and unclear =(

5. wolfsspirit

I am going to make a new backup and test it , after i solved the problem differential partition backup did not work and gave errors..

It would help if the help section of the program actualy had help and not a link to some unclear database/webpage.
    It tells me i can download a pdf usermanual. wich ofcourse is nowhere to be found.
    There are a lot of nice options in the program , but i cannot say it's userfriendly at all.
    Myself i work with computers since 1984 and can say i have quite some knowledge about OS's ,hardware and stuff , but only because i read, try a lot and build my own computers since forever.
    Go figure people who are quite new to computers.. they won't give a look at programs like this at all.. too confusing without integrated help database and a descent understandable wizard

6. Mech_An

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.