System disk clone works, but new disk is unbootable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wishyou, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishyou

wishyou Registered Member

I experience the same as Luminous in this thread.

I just performed a successfull clone of my Fedora Core 2 system disk, no errors, but as I disconnect the old drive and making the new one primary, it wont boot. I simply says 'GRUB' and hangs, at the point where I'd expect the kernel load selector. I seems to me that there is an issue with boot sector/mbr cloning in TI80.

I did a clean boot from TI boot media (8.0-791), to perform this. Is there any differences on the boot medias between the workstation/server/linux versions?

And also, since my new drive is larger than the new old one, I'd like to extend the partitions a bit. But TI wont let me do anything but an 'As is' clone. It claims that my partitions have errors. I have rescue-bootet fedora core 2 several times to run 'fsck' on non-mounted partitions, but no errors are detected and the disks ar marked 'Clean'.

My actions:
    - First I select source\old and target\new drives
    - Delete partitions on the target drive
    - Keep old data
    - Clone type: 'as is' (the only thing that works, see above)
    - Confirm
    - Wait for about an hour.
    - Boot from new drive hangs at 'GRUB'

Any pointers?

Regards
    Wish

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wishyou,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please try to reactivate GRUB loader.

If it doesn't help please create an Acronis Report with both disks attached to your computer. In order to do this please perform the following steps:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option on some Windows computer;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete.

After that please send the report.txt file along with the link to this thread to support@acronis.com and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. wishyou

wishyou Registered Member

Okay I'll try that first. Although I am not sure how to do that particular thing, is there a special command or du i need to edit som config files, or both?

EDIT: Got it... Found a guide here: http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/bob_kashani/grub/

Du you have any answers to my other questions?

Wish

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Hello wishyou,

The Acronis True Image cloning tool should work properly with any disks containing any operational system. Thus to clone the disk with Fedora Core 2 (or any other UNIX/Linux system) you don't need to purchase Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux. You can do this operation with Acronis true Image 8.0.

As for the errors on disk, the conclusion can be made only after the Acronis Report I asked you to send is available.

To reactivate GRUB loader please do the following

1. Load from the Fedora Core 2 bootable disk into the rescue mode;
    2. Issue the following commands

mkdir /mnt/tmp
    mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /mnt/tmp
    chroot /mnt/tmp
    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

Where hdXY is your root partition. You may find it with the help of the command:

fdisk-l /dev/hda

If you still have any questions please write a letter to Marian Fadeeva via e-mail support@acronis.com. She will certainly help you to solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  5. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

I've got the same problem cloning an FC4 disk with TI8 biuld 800. Has this problem been fixed in a later build or in TI9? I hope so. It's quite time consuming to find and implement the workaround. At this point I have not had any luck using the above info.

Pete

6. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

I was successful running grub and typing:

grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)

7. Acronis Support

Hello Pete,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please be aware that the issue with GRUB reactivation does not relate to Acronis True Image 8.0.

If you have any problems with GRUB reactivation, we recommend to read the respective Fedore Core 4 documentation to resolve that issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

I also cloned a FC3/XP dual boot system and in that case I had to upgrade from TI8 build 800 to the latest (937) and then when the clone was done I used the following commands from within grub

root (hd0,5)
    setup (hd0)

Note: use find /boot/grub/stage1 to verify where to set the grub root. This info about grub's root/fing/setup was found by typing
    info grub
    at the Linux command line.

p.s. It would be nice to be able to clone without having to mess with GRUB. It was a very time consuming process for me (due to the learning curve).

9. ric9887

ric9887 Registered Member

I have had this exact problem while imaging a Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES). Using Snap Deploy

When an image was restored it would only boot into a GRUB prompt (restored onto exact same hardware)

I have descovered that the act of booting the Acronis Master Creater either from PXE or Boot CD and then exiting (did not create an image) causes the server to boot to the GRUB prompt. Yes its easy to correct with

root (hd0,5)
    setup (hd0)

(thank you ptbrunet)

It appears that the image creater, or the OS the image creater boots with does change something before an image is taken, and doesnt change it back after.

I find it hard to believe that Tatyana Tsyngaeva's (Acronis support) comments are true.

>>Please be aware that the issue with GRUB reactivation does not relate to Acronis True Image 8.0.

As far as I can see its the act of loading the image creater which alters something before the image is taken which is causing some of these problems with restores booting into GRUB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.