system date and time keeps changing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jesa_l, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesa_l

jesa_l Registered Member

hello all . I am jesal , from bombay[india] .. I think my pc has been infected with some spyware or adware which keeps changing my system date and time .. the bios settings are all fine . Ive also checked the regional settings .. When I scan for viruses using nod32 , i get no virus ... donno hw to fix it ? cud any1 shed some light ?

-cheers

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

More info needed on the date and time changes.
    are they random or does it always go back to the same time - date

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

1. serious attempts to subvert a computer want to go undetected

2. I dont see the advantage that even a trivial spyware infection would gain from changing the dates, unless its a side effect of defeating logs or filesystem attributes

3. Any security installed on a box that is suspected of being compromised is unreliable, serious malware can both hide from or alter the security

could be something as simple as an update hitch with daylight savings time

Recommend downloading Knoppix and scanning from outside the OS
    http://www.cs.bsu.edu/homepages/gjj...fprotVirusScanningWithAModifiedKnoppixCd.html
    alternately employ Slax w\ the f-prot module
    or the UBCD but the current definitions are a year old, alternately create a parallel XP install and reinstall your security to it ideally on a seperate HDD with the original offline, then cross scan, preventing malware or stealthware from the infected OS from bootstrapping into memory, safe mode does that to a certain degree or online scanning from safemode with networking and your firewall turned on manually as the last alternative

the time invested in either a dual boot to cross scan or a LiveCD\Bootable USB to scan from outside the OS is well worth it, and can be employed not only for this incident but regularly, and IMO is something you should do even if its something totally unrelated ;) But if your pressed for time safemode scanning and the most promising troubleshooting path should be pursued first.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello to EVERYONE on this thread.

You may want to look at this thread. We discussed a possibly related topic there.

Cheers.

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

scratch point 2 :p
    move point 3 to first position ;)

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Ice Czar

:D :D :D :D

That thread really sounds worrying, but in reality that sceanario is pretty unlikely to occur with behavioural blocking. It seems to me that OP jesa_l here have some sort of (not necesssarily) minor hardware isssue, or a bug in BIOS firmware. Well, just a thought... ;)

7. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yeah, lol, but actually, that's not bad proposition at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.