System Crash from TI v8 (b764) Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by valdepublic, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valdepublic

valdepublic Registered Member

I'm a newcomer to this forum and am anxious for some help. I've recently installed Acronis True Image v8.0 (build 764) on my laptop (see configuration below). I wanted to create a boot disk ("bootable rescue media"), and did so on a CD-RW, choosing the "full version". My intention is to use the boot disk to image my HDD onto a network share.

(a) I managed to boot up with the newly-created bootable CD-RW, and I get to the TI program menu. I then choose "Create Image", and get to the "Create Image Wizard" dialog box. However, when I click on the "Next" button, I see a "Processing... Please Wait" box appear, and then my laptop REBOOTS spontaneously. This problem behavior was repeatable by repeatedly booting and choosing the "Next" button on the Create Image Wizard and even on the Restore Image Wizard.

(b) I then re-created a boot disk using the "safe version", and with that one, I don't get the spontaneous reboot after clicking Next, and can in fact see the laptop HDD. The problem to this safe version is that I can't seem to traverse my network shares.

I'd appreciate any help anybody can offer on problems (a) and (b).

My laptop config is: Toshiba Tecra M1 : Pentium M 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 55.9GB HDD, Win XP SP1, built-in Ethernet LAN & 802.11b WLAN.

Thanks in advance!

2. amir12

amir12 Guest

I have the same problem - can anyone help?

3. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

Two of you with the same problem. I have to assume you do not have identical machines therefore my first suggestion would be for you to COMPLETELY uninstall TI and then do the installation over again (hopefully then being able to create the "full version" bootable rescue media). In addition you might want to study "My Backup/Restore Procedures With TI" currently located on Page 1 of the forum.

4. valdepublic

valdepublic Registered Member

Thanks, mike_wells. Just to clarify, I am "able to create the 'full version' bootable rescue media" right now (per item [a] in post). The problem I have in item (a) is that when I boot up using this media, I get a system crash after I click on the Next button in the process of creating an image. Is this the same situation you had in mind when you posted your suggestion?

5. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

I was under the impression from your first post that you were not getting favorable results from your "full version" rescue media. And, that the results were more favorable with the "safe version". Meaning that with the "full" you could not create images, etc., and the "safe" got you a little further but not all the way. I would still like you to proceed with the reinstallation and then go thru my procedures step by step. We have to start somewhere and since I can not look over your shoulder this is our best bet.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Please try to update the software to the latest build (76:cool: available at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/ and re-create the bootable media.
    If the problem persists, please do the following:
    - Boot from Acronis software rescue media and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.
    - After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" (without quotes) and press the OK button.
    - Try using the software again.

If this does not help, please contact Acronis support at support@acronis.com

7. dooley

dooley Guest

what's the point of writing to acronis support ? They never reply to anybody about all the problems that version 8 is causing worldwide.
    All the good reputation that was built up with version 7 is being lost with the nightmare that is version 8 and the company's terrible public relations exercises where they believe it is better to ignore the problems and hope people get tired and go away rather than admit they have made mistakes.
    well i have news for you acronis, we WON'T go away and i for one, have now had my credit card refund the money i paid to acronis for delieverin faulty goods and refusing to rectify the problem. I suggest all version 8 buyers do the same.

8. amir12

amir12 Guest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I did everything suggested here and it still doesn't work. Even updated version to newest.

The normal boot disc keeps rebooting when I click "create image" or "restore image" and then ok. (The same problem described by vald (creator of this thread).

When doing safe mode cd it works but i guess usb doesn’t work properly ( I have external usb drive) and it takes over 7 hours to make an image, so i cant use that.

I ended up uninstalling TI8 and going back to TI7, and it works again fine. So idunno.

9. Acronis Support

Sorry, but I can't agree with you.
    Acronis support _always_ replies if a message reaches its destination (and email delivery troubles are very rare today).
    Yes, the delays in the first reply were sometimes inacceptable during this year, but Acronis _never_ drop any request and always tried to fix problems.
    And I can guarantee you and other Acronis customers that this inacceptable delay will go away soon. I am very upset that we were not able to give quick replies for several months.

10. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Out of curiosity, as one who has submitted emails to Acronis about problems with removable drives, what was the nature of the delays and how will they be fixed? I'm curious, because I'm not investing any cash in any upgrades if the quality of customer support isn't at least 2 sigma. With software, excellent customer support is a requirement.

11. Acronis Support

The nature... rapid company development I guess.
    Now we have found a suitable solution that will end support problems.

12. leehigdon3

Thanks for the quick and honest response. I'm glad to hear the good news.

13. raistlin2k

raistlin2k Guest

SAME PROBLEM HERE

Using an IBM X30, I have the same problem, either on create or restore image, after clicking on "Next" PC restarts.

Already tried the "acpi=off noapic" trick, but still the same problem.

TI 7 Worked very well on this machine, when I tested it.

Any idea?
    Thanks
    Raist

14. Acronis Support

Re: SAME PROBLEM HERE

All I can recommend is to try to update, and if it does not help, then contact support@acronis.com.
    We need additional reports and I guess posting them to a forum is not a good idea.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

True Image 8.0 (764 & 76:cool: both crash when I click "next" for any wizard in the Arconis Recovery Manager / Secure Zone. True Image 7.0 worked without problem.

This is with a laptop (Compaq X1000). Tried to put "acpi=off noapic" in the f11.cfg did not work, maybe I'm doing it right? ...

[start]
    echo Starting Acronis True Image...
    initrd ramdisk.dat /s
    kernel kernel.dat acpi=off noapic quiet
    quiet on
    mbrcrcs on
    vga vesa

Any advice?

16. Torg42

Torg42 Guest

Yep me too. I can't get 8 to use DHCP. How many problems can this software have. I should not have gotten 8, and stuck with 7, but now I can't find my old version. Does anybody know where I can get a 7?

Thanks,

Troy

17. Acronis Support

The f11.cfg file is used by Acronis Startup Recovery Manager only. If you made changes to this file, then you should re-activate Startup Recovery Manager.
    For bootable media it is better to use another approach:
    - Boot from Acronis software rescue media and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.
    - After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" (without quotes) and press the OK button.

18. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dooley

You say we WON'T go away and i for one, makes no sense as you are hiding behind the fact you are a Guest so what ever you have to say helps or proves nothing to anybody.

And can only be taken as PORKY PIES

TheQuest :cool:

19. Paul Mead

Paul Mead Guest

I have the same issue using a Compaq NX7000 laptop. Using recovery cd buildt from version 8 TI build 768.

Also tried the Linux parameters as suggested earlier in this thread with no joy.

Some much for me testing this and then rolling it out as a laptop disaster recovery solution for all my customers......

I think there should be resources put into this problem - there seem to be far too many people suffering from this issue.

20. leehigdon3

Hmmm...that's a rather rigid position you're taking, no? What difference does it make if he's a guest or a member? He may be taking unauthorized liberties in speaking for others here, but he certainly is justified in expressing concerns, assuming he paid for the product, just like you and I did. BTW, what's a "porky pie"? I've never heard that expression.

21. amir12

amir12 Guest

yup i have the compaq x1000 also.

22. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

I am having the same problem using a Toshiba M200 Tablet; problem looks to be a combination of Laptop/Tablet and TI8. Hope we can get this fixed soon! i am keen to roll back a few days.

Will a TI8 image install with TI7? It sounds like TI7 doesn't have these problems?

Gibbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.