System Configuration Startup question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Acadia, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Received my new pc several days ago and I’m in the process of learning XP, Home Edition. In my old Win98 system I was able to go into the System Configuration Utility Start-Up tab and uncheck anything that I did not want starting at bootup and I never had any problems. With this new system I unchecked just one item and upon bootup received a message that said:

"The system configuration utility is currently running in diagnostic or selective mode causing this message to be displayed when Windows starts up. Choose the normal startup mode on the General tab to start windows normally and undo the changes you made."

What’s this all about? Do I always have to keep all items checked in the startup tab?

Thank you very much.

Acadia

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Acadia,

Several good sites are available concerning tweaking and handling XP; one of them is Doug Knox's site. Happy reading - good stuff over there ;)

regards.

paul

3. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

Acadia,

I started using XP Home about 1.5 yrs ago & startups were a major issue. Pacman's site - pacs-portal - has a fantastic listing of various processes w/ yes, no or user's choice with regards to startup. The info can be downloaded for quick referral. I use a startup manager (CodeStuff Starter) which allows the user to uncheck a box to remove the process from startup with the option of rechecking the box if you change your mind. I was able to cut my average running processes in half with noticeable improvement in performance.

I would also recommend taking a look at Black Viper's site for information on system services. You might find it useful.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Paul,

Thanks for the tip on Doug Knox's site.

Slim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.